Moray Spirit of Brass - 10th - 13th June Elgin, Scotland

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by JohnLanc, May 12, 2005.

1. JohnLanc

JohnLanc New Member

As the frosty winter months begin to subside and the crisp spring days loom the inevitable summer holiday plans begin to take form. With summer hotspots ranging from the Caribbean to the Mediterranean this time of year is the travel agents dream. However, before rushing to book your holiday, consider one more destination…

This year the Scottish highland region of Moray is to host the first ever Moray Spirit of Brass Festival in which a distinctly high calibre of talent is to arrive on its stages. The festival starts in Elgin’s St Giles Church on Friday 10th June at 7.30pm with a concert from the Royal Scottish Academy Brass and their soloist for the evening, John Wallace OBE. This concert begins a weekend that promises outstanding talent and incredible performances.

Moray is an area of remarkable musicality and is extremely lucky to be the home to no less than four local bands, which perform regularly in the many spectacular locations it offers. Starting from 10.30am on Saturday 11th these four bands will play in just a few of the best and most well known tourist spots in Moray. Keith and District Silver Band will showcase some of their numbers in the beautiful setting of Glenfiddich Distillery, Dufftown, while Elgin City Band will be heard around the centre of Elgin. At the world famous Baxter’s of Speyside, Fochabers, Moray Concert Brass will present their ability and similarly the RAF Kinloss Voluntary Band will play at the Station Park bandstand, Lossiemouth. These locations have been specifically chosen for their interest and attraction to visitors. If the appeal of the music is not enough, combined with some of these beauty spots it surely will be.

Continuing the day’s events from 12.30pm Moray Spirit of Brass will be holding a series of free workshops, which will be open to all. The workshops, which are to be held in Elgin Academy, are to be hosted by Lesley Howie: Tenor horn, Katrina Marzella: Baritone, Roger Webster: Cornet and Simone Rebello: Percussion. These workshops are a chance to see some of the countries greatest talents giving hints and tips to all who attend. In addition to the workshops each of the performers will be a soloist at the Scottish Co-op Brass Band concert to be held in St Giles Church, Elgin from 8pm. Scottish Co-op, conducted by Raymond Tennant boast their current title of Scottish Brass Band Champions, thus teamed with the soloists for the event this concert guarantees high-quality performances.

The evening will not however finish there. From 10.30pm award winning Trumpeter Bruce Adams will host an evening of jazz supported by some of Moray’s local musicians. The evening is to be held in the Mansfield Hotel, Elgin and is guaranteed to end a bursting day of musicality.

With Moray Spirit of Brass events not starting until 2pm on Sunday 12th this is the ideal time to sample some of Moray’s tourist attractions. We are delighted to be the home to a number of excellent golf courses, fishing areas and distilleries as well as renowned internationally known businesses such as Johnston’s Woolen Mill and Baxter’s of Speyside. Also Elgin is situated a mere 45miles from Inverness, ‘The Highland Capital’ which has fast become shopper’s heaven thanks to the new Eastgate Shopping Centre. However, at 2pm the day’s musical proceedings begin once again. This time the local Moray Concert Brass will be linking with world renowned Nigel Boddice’s West Lothian Schools Brass Band. This concert also boasts another chance to hear Bruce Adams, their soloist for the event.

The day will end with a display of a truly Scottish nature with Massed Bands with Pipes and Drums. The beautiful Brodie Castle is to be the setting for this entourage and will undoubtedly be a sight and sounds to remember.

Moray Spirit of Brass will come to a close on Monday 13th June with the final concert from Thistle Brass Quintet. This concert beginning at 7pm in Elgin’s St Giles Church is sure to be a fantastic way to finish a weekend packed with some quality music from around the country.

Although this is to be the first Moray Spirit of Brass event it is hoped that this will become a yearly occurrence, which will grow in size and stature each year.

With support from such names as John Wallace, Lesley Howie, Katrina Marzella, Roger Webster, Simone Rebello, Nigel Boddice, Bruce Adams and more it is almost guaranteed that this weekend in Moray will be filled with fun, beautiful sights and sounds to match.

For more information please visit the Moray Spirit of Brass website at: www.morayspiritofbrass.co.uk

2. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hi John

Sounds like an excellent weekend.
    Have taken a note of the dates and may even pop up for a short holiday.

Ta

3. Moy

Moy Active Member

Aghhhh just checked dates and I am away that weekend but will talk to our band about it.
    Strangely enough should be seeing John Wallace on the Saturday. ;)
    Sounds a great weekend and am sorry I will be away - please repeat it next year.

4. groovy

groovy Active Member

Same - unfortunately commited to my own band all weekend. Maybe will make it to something on the Friday night. I hope that the weekend is a massive success and we see it again in future years. Gutted I'm going to miss the workshops and Co-op especially.

5. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

sounds fantastic, will make a real effort to get there.

6. JohnLanc

JohnLanc New Member

Tickets

A number of tickets are available for Moray Spirit of Brass:

Festival Pass - £20 Adult / £12 Concession
    (Allows entry to all four concerts and entitles holder to a 20% discount at Scribbles Restaurant, Elgin).

Individual Concert Ticket - £6 Adult / £4 Concession

Festival Club (Jazz with Bruce Adams) - £5 (available at the door only)

Tickets are available via www.morayspiritofbrass.co.uk or by contacting Moray IT Solutions, 14 Batchen Street, Elgin | 01343 550300 | www.morayit.com

Any queries, please email mail@morayspiritofbrass.co.uk.

7. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Erm.........????? Not from what I remember from Dundee back in March..... ;)

Does sound like an excellent festival though.

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I'm really sorry not to be able to make it across for this event. It looks fantastic, but there's no way I can make it. :-?

I hope everything goes well!