Moral cricketing dilemma

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Hypothetical Scenario

OK, all the England team have withdrawn from the Zimbabwe Tour on moral grounds but the ECB is still bottling it over potential repercussions, and is going down the pecking order to find players to play.

I've been offered a berth in the squad, and looking at the other squad members, am virtually guaranteed to play in all 5 games.

Hmmm.

I don't want to be seen backing the Despot.
    I do want to play for England, even if it's only in a Mickey Mouse Tournament, with no prospect of retaining my place for the South Africa series.
    I have publicly stated my opposition to this tour.
    I will NEVER get another chance like this.

So, do I go???

2. andyp

andyp Active Member

For the reasons you state, no. Unless you're going back on one or more of them for expediency, of course.

Another hypothetical scenario: How would the whole political and sporting scenario differ if Robert Mugabe and his government were white-skinned?

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

With all due respect, Will, I think only you could decide that one, and I think with points 1 and 3, you've probably answered your own question FOR YOURSELF, not in my view. (Boy, sitting on this fence has covered my butt in creosote! :))

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Having said that, I'll offer my own halfpence worth, for what it's worth. Yes, I think it would be hugely impressive as someone who's known you a long time and in particular, your devotion to cricket, to get the call to represent your country. However, with your own personal dilemmas, is that the way you'd really like to be selected? If it were any other situation (and I appreciate you saying you'd never get another chance), I personally, would be so proud to say, 'Hey, that's my mate playing cricket for England'.... but, but, but.... I would, if such a call were to come, suggest milking the fact that you were considered good enough as a 'dep' to be considered and go with that. I'd still be honoured to know someone considered so, even if you didn't go.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

It is an honour to be asked to represent your country (speaking from opinion not experience as i fear the english football, cricket and rugby teams have all unfortunately failed to recognoze my talents)

If you are selected you should go and represent your country, it is not up to the individuals to make moral stands like this, it should be the authorities (sporting or political) to make the moral judgement and either FULLY BACK the tour or CANCEL it.

Unfortunately I very much doubt the current government or the ECCB have the strength and leadership to actually commit themselves either way on this subject.

6. Will the Sec

To quote Mark Thomas (I think - could be wrong- some political comedian anyhow)- "If it's a black government being unduly cruel to its people, it's called the right to self rule and destiny. If it's a white Government being unduly cruel to its people it's called apartheid..."

7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

hmm not sure, but the ECB and ICC have had more than enough opportunites to sort this out.
    When Nasser had to pull the team out of the world cup match the ECB said that all the problems would be sorted by the time this tour was due to happen. And here we are a year or so later and still the problem is not solved and neither this government, ECB or ICC seem to be willing to make a stand :-?

8. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

The ECB wont - they say the ICC will fine them £10 million and throw them out of world cricket

The ICC wont - they will only sanction a team not fulfilling a fixture on security grounds

The government wont - if they did some of their supporters would call them racist and there is an election coming up

What a pathetic bunch they are !

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Personally I wouldn't accept. Yes it's an honour to be picked for your country, but I feel it would a very hollow honour on this occassion. The feeling that I was a "last resort" choice, and that I would lose the respect of people back home, would outweigh the honour of pulling on my country's colours.

10. Will the Sec

I turned 'em down anyway.

They wouldn't fly me back to London on the Thursday between the second and third games so I could go to band.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Zimbabwe Tour
    England
    Despot.
    ECB
    Moral cricketing dilemma Hypothetical Scenario OK
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

You're not that bad, it just old age creeping up on you.

13. Will the Sec

"Quote"?? "Quote"??

I see you're using the "never let the exact words stand in the way of a good quote".

Who the hell is Bilic?