montage - marvellous, moderate, or muck?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by madandcrazytromboneguy, Apr 29, 2005.

1. basically, i just wondered what you all think of this years senior cup piece

ive found it very hard to play and also i aint 2 keen on it, theres not much tune in it as far as i can hear, apart from the 2nd movement which aint 2 bad 2 listen to but its a drag 4 counting

i dont like the piece and i'll b glad 2 see the back of it after this contest

plz post ur views on here, cheers :D
  2. NAS

NAS Member

I played it a few years ago when it was the area piece. Although at the time I was glad to see the back of it I now think its an awesome piece of music:-D.
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Same here. I played it at the Area and hated it.
    I seem to recall there was a tricky Eb Bass bit (with Sop)at the start of the in the last movement. Fortunately I didn't have to play it, but I think I C***ed it up for the guy that did - have you forgiven me yet Martin ??
    Now I love to listen to it - Strange !
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well i have NEVER PLAYED thank god and only heard it.

ITS one of the WORST PIECES EVER WRITTEN for Brass Band and is only good enough for lighting a BIG BONFIRE with with all the rest of the copies ever published on the fire:clap:
  5. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

I played Montage as the Test Piece for the Championship Section at the 2003 NABBA Contest. Stavanger won, playing the piece brilliantly.
  6. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Played it at the areas as well. Hated the tricky trom/cornet bit in 1st movement at the time but it is one of my favourite pieces. Superb 2nd movement and over all a terrific piece of music.
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm another Area man - took time to grow on me, but I ended up liking it.
  8. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Great piece, great trombone part, fun to play! If it wasn't challenging to play it wouldn't be much of a test piece, would it?
  9. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I think quite the opposite. Even if you don't like the piece you cannot say it's not well written.
    If only more band composers were to use such compositional techniques!
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've liked Montage since I heard the Britannia (Fodens) winning perf. of it in the Masters! Playing it in the Areas was even better and it is one of Peter Graham's better works! (... last mvt. especially ;) )
  11. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Brilliant piece of music, Peter Graham's best in my opinion (even if it does rip off the Lutoslawski "Concerto for Orchestra" in the first movement.....)

Wish I was conducting it, but doing Connotations instead - at least it's a slightly easier piece!
  12. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

Love it!!!!!

Keeps you on your toes from start to finish!
  13. brass journo

brass journo Member

Hate to agree with you Mr. Geary, but I agree with you. I like it just for the pure fact that it really tests you physically and mentally. You cannot switch off for a second, especially playing top man, and it tests every technique of playing and really makes you work. At the end of our rehearsals at the moment I'm not sure what's more tired my lip or my brain!! I'm struggling to stay awake in the car on the way home - it's a long time since I had to use that much concentration!! (well - about 2 weeks since we played St. Magnus!!)

At the end of the day it's a proper test-piece. However, I do wonder how it can be the Senior Cup test-piece when only 8 months ago it was one of the choices for the British Open. I vote that whoever wins the Senior Cup gets an automatic promotion into the British Open!!!!

Sees you all at Blackpool

14. Heather

Heather Member

Its the hardest piece I've ever had to play and expect there might be some dodgy performances next week (not ours I hope!!!).
    I love playing it though but its definately going to need full concentration to pull it off.
    ...also, thank goodness I don't play 1st Baritone....its a nightmare!!!!!!!
  15. aqua76

aqua76 Member

I think its a good piece. Nobody gets off here at all! Tricky counting, hard parts for back row re playing 5's etc
    Very hard front row too.

Im 1st horn (playing Montage next week at blackpool...oooooer!!) and have two bars of ridiculously hard semis that i just cant get to grips with, its just oo godamm fast!!!

All said, i think its a great test and next week should be interesting.....

Damlellington Band
  16. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Great piece, awesome BBb part (don't think there'll be too many on the day!)

It's too hard for the Senior Cup. British Open piece last year, yet 6 months later it's the test piece for the Qualifier, for the Qualifier, of the same contest? Madness.

I think the jump between Connotations and Montage is too great, and Masquerade is a tough call for any band and is definately Open standard.

Anyway, we'll plod on. Don't think anyone will be giving a definitive performance though :D . Mind you, neither did Fodens when they won the Masters ;-)
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... still my benchmark performance to judge others by! Inspired reading by Howard Snell. :D
  18. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yep, still my favourite too, and a good benchmark. Just not perfect. None of the others recordings are though. Not heard one that keeps the tempo/time across the band strictly (although I haven't heard any from the Open last year properly), but that's why it's an excellent test for the best bands.
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... you're bringing back memories now! ;) The tempo at the start of the 1st must be just right to create the momentum or entries become erratic leading to all sorts of problems (esp. in the featured duets). Same goes for the last mvt. too! Start it too slow then it's catch-me-up or too fast then the control element is thrown out the window, esp. for horns. How many bass teams will actually play the written parts in the semi link-ups? Even some of the better bands on show choose to dovetail them. A classic test for both conductor and band.
  20. lewis

lewis Member

I think it's good that hard pieces are being set for these contests. The spring contest is made of three contests to allow as many championship section bands as possible to be invoved in the British Open, so the pieces should be tests for good Championship Section bands.

Anyway Montage is a fantastic piece, def one of my favourites (actually something for bones to do). 2nd movement has some amazingly beautiful moments.