Monkey Trousers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Nothing much doing today so I though I'd start a thread about the latest comedy sketch show to hit the terrestrial screens. Just interested to see what others thought of it.

My own take is that there's an awful lot of high class comedy talent wasted because Bob Mortimer seems to be in most of the sketches. I was never a great Reeves and Mortimer fan but any moments that did make me laugh came from Vic Reeves. Bob Mortimer has always seemed to me to 'tag along' and I've never found him remotely funny. Sadly, his many appearances in Monkey Trousers confirms that for me. There are some potentially very good sketches somewhat spoiled by his inclusion. In the Fast Show, Paul Whitehouse 'hogged' a lot of screen time, but there again, Paul Whitehouse was funny.... This might sound like a 'anti Bob Mortimer' campaign. It isn't but when you have the likes of Steve Coogan, Rebecca Front, Angus Deayton, Alistair McGowan, Ronni Ancona etc. getting comparatively little screen time, it's a bit of a shame. It hardly comes as a surprise though, when you see that it's made by Pett Productions (Vic and Bob's company) that Bob Mortimer gets a lot of involvement in it...

My own favourite is the Professional Footballers' Wives. Brilliant sketches, brilliantly delivered. I've always liked 'nostalgic' takes on 'the old days' and this hits the mark.

Anyway, just my opinions. What do others think?