Money survey

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mr_anon, Nov 13, 2004.

1. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

How much could you expect to make from

(1) busking?
    (2) teaching kids privately?
    (3) peripatetic brass teaching?
    (4) Deputising?
    (5) Playing in a band?
    (6) Playing in an orchestra?
    (7) Playing with a pop group?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Heheheh! I'm sure a few players will get out their tax returns to answer that one! :rolleyes:

3. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

If one already has a day job, how much of this should one declare to the taxman?

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

(1) - (7) a moderate income, just depends on your definition of moderate!

5. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

What's your definition of moderate? Give me a few figures to ponder.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's a recent link for pro-salaries (on average) for UK orchestral players. It must be noted that the article does not include soloist positions (more money) and seasonal positions (e.g., ballet orchestras in certain areas).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3642186.stm

7. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

(6) has been answered, thanks. (1)-(5) & (7) remain.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Getting paid for playing in brass bands is getting less and less these days as funding and sponsorship declines. Packages vary from just travel expenses to seat sponsorship (where the player receives annually a undisclosed fee to remain contracted to play with that band ... maybe up to £25K ?? Only rumoured on the posts here).

9. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

so if you're not one of the best players in the country, for (5) you'd be lucky to get petrol & beer money from bands who probably take up many hours of your time each week when considering rehearsals & travelling & hanging around

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Most people still play for the pleasure of banding and don't ask for financial support. In fact, it could be said that a lot pay out to travel to rehearsals, pay subscriptions, take time off work and we must not forget the band meetings in pubs afterwards. ;)

Consideration is given to banders with low incomes such as the unemployed or students and usually fees are reduced or waived. Reality is that a lot of fund-raising is required on an ongoing basis to keep a band in existence.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    much
    teaching
    brass
    Money survey
    kids
  12. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

What do subscription bands charge these days?

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Subscriptions vary according to whatever external support comes into the bank account. Usually only a couple of ££s weekly. Why all the interest? Are you thinking about sponsoring a band?

14. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

I'm just doing some research that might or might not lead to things.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You will find it difficult to get clear-cut answers about funding on any forum, especially in the world of brass bands. Individual players who do get paid for playing (the 'free-lancers') would keep quiet so not to upset other players in that band, maybe causing arguments about the latter's own financial positions if they originally had any. Some of the very best players are usually sponsored full-time by instrument manufacturers and represent them by giving masterclasses and concerts. There are professional orchestral players who have played in bands over the years too, but I have never even thought about asking any how much they get hired for. As for my original post, I hope that players who do get paid submit some sort of tax return to the inland revenue.

16. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

I'm not a taxman. I encourage people to supply me with information via private message if they prefer not to disclose information publically.

17. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Most players (even the majority of ch bands) do not even get petrol money/beer money/payment of any sort, and many pay a subscription fee as well....bands simply do not have the money to do it! Banding is a hobby and like most hobbies there is some sort of cost involved.

Some bands at the very top end (with major sponsorship) do pay retainers, although I shouldn't imagine these add up to a 'full salary'. There are also a few of the 'top bands' who do not pay the players at all as they have no sponsorship.

Most people who play in brass bands do it because they love it.

Instrumental lessons probably range from 18 pounds an hour upwards. Private lessons with one of the top bandsman would probably set you back 30/40 pounds an hour I should think.

18. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

Thanks for your attempts. The bold ones remain unattempted:

(1) busking?
    (2) teaching kids privately?
    (3) peripatetic brass teaching?
    (4) Deputising?
    (5) Playing in a band?
    (6) Playing in an orchestra?
    (7) Playing with a pop group?

( 8 ) Give me an idea of band subscriptions?

Here are some additional questions:

How much can the following people expect to earn from brass bands:
    (9) Conductors
    (10) Adjudicators

19. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Well for band subscriptions it's usually around 10 quid a month. Private teachers (on the national average) charge £15.50 for an hours lesson but can charge anything they wish. The money Dep's get depends on the band, some bands will just pay their travel expenses, where as top players can charge whatever they like. And as for pop groups I don't think many of us are in one.........