Money from the Arts Council, what would you do with it?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Simon Preshom, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

I keep reading about the digust in the banding that other artforms such as opera receive substantially more movement than we do. I can't help but feel that alot of bands would just be self-serving if they did get the money though, rather than trying to promote bands to the general public and what we offer further. Would they:

Buy in a 'name' conductor for a contest?
    Finally get that principal cornet who wanted 'expenses' before joining?
    Buy a load of new instruments?

OR would there be a little more imagination?

Your band has been given 20,000 pounds.... what would you do with it to make a difference?

This thread could spur some ideas for bands with a bit of money sloshing around...so get your thinking caps on.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Arts Council
    alot of bands
    contest
    opera
    principal cornet
  3. postie

postie Member

I think most bands including ourselves would probably buy new instruments. I would agree with you about using it in a more imaginative way but you have to look after the bands interests. Being stuck with ageing instruments certainly wouldn't be the way forward.

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Renovate and enlarge the band room.

5. sopboy

sopboy New Member

There are lots of things lower section bands can do with money as they don't have much money.

I think if you ever get a large sum of money from a sponser,donation or grant put it towards buying your own band room it goes a long way and nobody can take that away from you.

I remember years ago Leyland DAF, BNFL and JJB Sports gave Leyland band shed loads of cash!!! what did they do with all that money? Do they own there own band room now? and they won London 2005 with no sponser??

Hammonds, Yorkshire Building Society, do they own there own band room?
    I think I have a clue where all there money has gone (Chelsea F.C) but they did win a lot of contests!! and explore and record new music to develop the Brass band movement with some of there cash. and made history! and sent out a message that British bands are the best! - how many European wins!

Sellers ??? No major wins, No conductor, No band room and no band!!!
    So what did they spend there sponser money on? most of the band were students - interesting they never tried to keep something going.

6. bertiebass

bertiebass New Member

Couldn't agree with you more sopboy, after a long long struggle, we have finally completed rebuilding a new bandroom and with are teaching policy in place we have started purchasing new instruments after serious neglect because our bandroom fund. With the infruastucture in place and although we are a 4th section band, don't think I would ever wish to go and play anywhere else. Think long term and have your own bandroom!:clap:

7. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

We would spend it on a new bandroom too. But in actual fact that is promoting the future of brass banding because we have a thriving junior section (25 in the junior band and a further 10 learners). Without a decent bandroom a band cannot survive. We teach 3 afternoons a week after school, have junior band on Saturdays and senior band 2 evenings a week. This would not be possible if we were renting a room as it would cost too much and if we shared with someone like the scouts then we would be using it too much and there would be clashes when both would want to use it.

It is also helping to promote bands to the general public because both our bands go out into the community and play for various events, we couldn't do this if we couldn't rehearse or teach.

8. sopboy

sopboy New Member

Grimethorpe and Dyke own there own band rooms and do loads of jobs probably around fifty per year maybe more maybe less, I am quite sure that for every concert they do they receive £2500 to £3000 per concert that includes the cost of travel and sometimes a meal before the concert.

If 30 people in a band got paid £200 a month each £2400 retainer p/year that would be £72.000 per year.

Concert money = £2500 x 50 = £125.000 per year + prize money + CD and merchandise sales + donations

Concert money minus retainers = £53.000 per year, (remember to add on prize money, CD and merchandise and friends of and donations and more concerts £65.000?

What do they do with council, grant and sponsorship money on top of there own money?

9. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

i would buy a bass coz mine got droped:-(

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One thing nobody has yet mentioned is that many of the grants that are available come with very strict rules as to what the money can be spent on. It may be capital or revenue funding, but there is often a strong emphasis on work that will be of benefit to the local community, and that will have an ongoing influence.

I would look towards commissioning new music, and particularly to something that would link up with other organisations, such as a piece for band and choir, or band and children's voices. If there are elements of drama and dance, and a relevant local theme then so much the better. I would also look towards running workshops and activities that will take the music into the community, to schools, colleges etc if possible.

Maybe a music festival could be arranged, to bring together various local groups - having taken part in a community opera at the Hackney Empire ith Cambridge Heath Brass I know this can be quite enlightening, and can build lasting links with other groups.

11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Blimey, some people must know some very cheap builders, or would be happy with a bandroom made from wattle and daub

£20k for a new bandroom? Not likely!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Arts Council
    alot of bands
    contest
    opera
    principal cornet
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think in most places in the UK nowadays you'd struggle to buy the suitable land for £20k.

But if it were me holding the virtual purse-strings I'd go for a purpose built bandroom every time. We don't really have our own Bandroom - for the past 15 years or so we've had our own room in someone else's building, which is fine until things change and then you can be in a very difficult situation - as we found out to our cost 3 years ago.

IMO having your own bandroom is a key aspect of a progressive band - it means you can hold as many teaching sessions as you want, the room is always there for sectionals and rehearsals, you have a permanent place for your library - in short you have a base.

14. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I would go for new instruments, as been said before, most bands are struggling to make ends meet anway, so a windfall like that, I think that would be where most people be going.

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

We could rebuild our band room easily for that money. We already own the land it's on.

16. zak

zak Member

Grimey most certainly didn't own their bandroom when I was playing there and I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed!!! :confused:

Grimethorpe and Dyke own there own band rooms and do loads of jobs probably around fifty per year maybe more maybe less, I am quite sure that for every concert they do they receive £2500 to £3000 per concert that includes the cost of travel and sometimes a meal before the concert.

If 30 people in a band got paid £200 a month each £2400 retainer p/year that would be £72.000 per year.

Concert money = £2500 x 50 = £125.000 per year + prize money + CD and merchandise sales + donations

Concert money minus retainers = £53.000 per year, (remember to add on prize money, CD and merchandise and friends of and donations and more concerts £65.000?

What do they do with council, grant and sponsorship money on top of there own money? [/quote]

17. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

If some bright script writer was commisioned to start a TV soap based around a fictional brass band and the lives of the characters around it I reckon that would push up awareness of our world.
    Or a brass band X factor or big brother type of programme where viewers become emotionally involved.
    Not what any responsible Band Committee is going to vote for though.

18. bandroom

i have to agree most bands would sooner have there own room. ive only just got started with my present band but know over the years they have had to move from one place to another which makes it hard work. what would be a nice size for a bandroom at the moment the one were using is 120 feet by 57 feet.

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Anyone remember "The Shillingbury Blowers"? (OK it was a one-off and didn't make it to being commissioned as a series)

Didn't realise John LeMesurier and Diane Keen were in it...

20. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

I'd love our band to have it's own premises too. Sadly, it's very much of a hypothetical. I don't think getting money out of the Arts Council/lottery have been helped by stories, whether substantiated or not, of certain high profile bands wasting or misappropriating large sums of money in the past.

21. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

I think it says something about the state of the movement when a thread called 'What colour felts do you use?' is over twice the size of this one.

Is there any hope?!?

Come on people, your ideas and thoughts.

22. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

What do you think it says, then?

Apart from new bandroom, instruments, music, uniform, running costs and players :rolleyes: there's not much else to spend that sort of money on. Sorry to sound so practical.

Whereas in the "Felts" thread, tMP'ers can have a bit of fun and let their imaginations run riot. I don't see any harm in that.