Moderators: how do they do that?

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dulce bellum inexpertis, Dec 26, 2010.

Moderation on tmp. Should it be moderated?

1. Moderation is good as it is.

2. Stop all moderation.

3. More moderation than now.

4. Less moderation than now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just wondering how you qualify to be a mod on this site?

I frequent a couple of other forums and most are more or less unmoderated. I've studied this one for a couple of weeks, and the moderation here seems pretty aggressive. Why is that?

Do you have to be a good player Or have experience in banding to be a mod or just be here alot and have the trust of the owner?

It's not clear.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Guest

Be grateful. If you want to see what happens to a badly moderated site go see Tuba News!

Very Best, Chris Lee
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately you have come upon the site at a time when a small number of posters have proved particularly disruptive. We much prefer to have a "hands-off" approach, relying on members to follow the site's rules as laid down.

As for the Moderating team I think it is correct to say that we were all well-established members of the forum who were asked by John to give a hand as the forum has grown and developed.
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Evening Corporal, charismatic as ever.......
  6. Jan H

no insults please ;)
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are a long standing member, and wish to be a mod, I'm sure a pm to musicman or the other mods would give you some consideration.
  8. Is that an option? Do members of long standing "apply within"?

Do the mods get disciplined when they become Obstreperous? Is there a "Head Mod"?
  9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I believe previous Head Mods have included Roger Daltrey and Paul Weller.
  10. Jan H

All moderators were longtime regular members before being asked by John to take on their additional moderating tasks.
    John (TheMusicMan) is not the "Head Mod", but the "Site Owner & Adminsitrator". He pays the bills.
    I guess that in the hypothetical case of an "Obstreperous" moderator, he would be the one to decide what to do, but I don't see a reason why something like that would happen any time soon, since (1) all the mods do, is upholding the rules set out by John himself when he started the forum and (2) moderating decisions with possibly larger implications, are always discussed first.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  11. Surely this site must be a profit making concern. I postulated that the moderators who seem to spend much time on this site, must be getting paid. I now ask with a unfortunately indubitable apprehension if that is in fact the case?

With not a little consternation I must ask, Surely this is a profit making business for the owner? If not, then why on earth would a man pay money for others to practise such persiflage as is apparent in almost every thread.

There are adverts which I assume must be paid for and every time I log in i'm asked to consider apportioning some of my wealth to the owner through paypal. Which i consider a cheek as this is not a charity as far as I know.
  12. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Ah.....Here we go.
  13. Jan H

Does the site make a profit? I honestly don't know. There are only a couple of adds, and if they would cover all the costs of running the site, John surely wouldn't be asking for voluntary donations from supporters.
    And where could you possibly get the idea that the moderators are getting paid... This is community website, not a commercial venture.
    For someone who has only been reading this forum for a couple of weeks, you seem to have a lot of strange ideas... Or are you just another one of those persifleurs?
  14. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Agreed. Nothing new, seen this several times over the past 5 years.
  15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

What Donna said
  16. Persifleurs?

I regret you may have over extended your self with that word.

Is it unreasonable to assume that a concern that appears to be a business, as this site does, would be based on the concept of making a financial gain? That's all I have done. I don't think that's strange in the least.
  17. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Is it not a tad strange that someone appears on this forum and launches straight into some sort of mod bashing quest, without a single contribution of a brass band flavoured variety?
    Whats your take on the relevance of mixed gender bands, sausages and adjudication techniques Mr Dullbell?
  18. Jan H

Unreasonable, maybe not; but you know now that it isn't.

To come back to your original questions:
    answered before in the thread
    It's not. The number of treads that are intervened in, are small compared to the total number of threads, and these are only due to deliberatly stirring by a small number of anonymous members.
    I know quite a number of very succesfull internet fora where the moderation is much more strict than on this site. All our moderators try to do is to uphold the "family friendly rules" set out by the founder of the site. If you haven't read them yet, you can find them here.
    If I would visit a new forum and after a couple of weeks (or even much earlier) would decide that I don't like it, I would simply leave and not join it...
    The latter.

Thanks for your interest in the workings of this forum. I hope you now understand it better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.