Mobile Tariffs - What to do?!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rambo Chick, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I would like advice off tMPers about PAYG tariffs. I have had it up to here (motions with hand) with my phone contract as every month I was finding a problem with my bill that took lots time and money to they wrongly charge me, I have to correct it.

SO...... I want to go onto PAYG (Pay As You Go) but I dont know what to go for. I dont spend that much per month really so I'm looking around the £10-15/month average spending.

Can anyone recommend a tariff for PAYG that they find good? :confused: Maybe it comes with so many free mins/texts as some do nowadays.

Really would appreciate suggestions as my brain is fried from trying to decipher it all!:(
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

If you really don't make many calls, and have friends on it as well Virgin are quite good value:
    15p/m for the first 5 minutes a day then 5p/m
    Texts 3p -> Virgin 10p -> others

HOWEVER.... offer 6p/m to landlines from any mobile (can't remember the rate to mobiles). Look up what you have to do - you call them, they call you and then you dial who you want in effect. may help you choose too....

You also need to think about network coverage where you live: some parts of Yorkshire really only do one network - and its not consistent which!

3. leisa

leisa Active Member

o2. if you top up £10 a month you get 300 free texts £15 for 500 free and you get credit bonuses every month!! its fab!!

Out of interest u weren't on orange contract were you?
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

o2, do a sim only contract - £15, 200 mins + 200 texts. only a 30 day contract so you can cancel anytime
  5. on_castors

on_castors Member

I still have an old Orange contract that they don't let you have now - it gives me same prices as Virgin, ie 15p a min for first 3 mins a day, then only 5p after that; and some months it probably costs them more to collect than I spend - but I keep a second Mobile in the car, with a Vodaphone sim in it to use off-peak. They have a "Stop the clock" feature - you pay for max of 3 minutes, but talk up to an hour, so I get up to an hour's call for 15p after 7.30pm or weekends. Calls are dear during the day, so the phone I carry about is my Orange "Virgin" Contract, and only receive calls on that, and it is what gets used during the day if I am out & about.

The cost of cross network calls on just about every PAYG tariff is high, so if you are calling lots of different mobiles, then maybe a tariff that charges the same for all companies, such as Orange offers might be the thing if that is what you call, although they now charge a minimum of 15p for a call now too, so even a wrong number deducts 15p!

You just have to look a how you make calls what time of day, and who to, then look at the options as no one tariff is ideal for everyone, certainly most PAYG is more expensive than some of the contract options that are available out there, and of course you have to factor in the cost of the phone itself, as many contract phones are well subsidised too, and PAYG is not for those that want the flashest newest phone!
  6. Magico

Magico New Member

I have a tesco value sim card that is really cheap! All calls to landlines and any mobile networks are 10p per minute, and all texts are 5p each. I only really use mine for texts so it works out cheaper than other networks. The only down side is that you can't send or receive picture messages or call abroad. But if you just want it for making the odd call or sending texts its great! You can also arange to make regular top ups (e.g. £10 every week/ month) and get a 10% discount on it too so that saves you even more money!
  7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

but on contract you get a shiney new phone every 12 months !
  8. I'm on Virgin and it seems to be almost free to call, but texts are hugely expensive!

I figured this out after I called around to ten of my mates to organise a bowling trip that cost almost nothing, but text them afterwards and lost about a tenner
  9. well, i text them more than once
  10. timbloke

timbloke Member

And your carbon footprint rockets!! Do you know how much waste is generated making one mobile phone...

"The Wuppertal Institute calculates that the amount of waste generated in producing everyday products is 1.5 kg for a toothbrush, 75 kg for a mobile phone and 1,500 kg for a personal computer." (Source

"The sheer number of the devices sold around the globe is startling. David McQueen, principal analyst for handsets at Informa Telecoms and Media, says that an estimated 940-980 million phones will be sold this year." (Source

Which equates to about 725,000,000,000 g (725 billion) or 18 million elephants. So maybe if you can survive without that new phone you'll help to reduce a bit of the ever increasing waste mountain.
  11. Well, with any contract, you can't keep up with the sheer speed of technological development, so I'd go for the pay as you go option
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

That assumes that you're going to always want the latest technology. I've had the same phone for nearly five years. I don't text with it, I don't read email with it, I don't want to take pictures with it, all I want to do is make and receive telephone calls. The long-term contract options are far less money than any of the pay-as-you-go options, with my carrier, I've saved somewhere in the neighborhood of $120USD per year.
  13. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

You could probably reduce that figure by half to account for the sales never happened and are merely an invoice created in order to steal about £10 billion out of the European Tax System - as mobile phones are often the chosen comodity for our fraud community.