Mobile Phones MP3s and Ipods

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Laserbeam bass, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Is it just me, or are more and more individuals using public transport to air their cultural slants on an unsuspecting public.

It is now extremely rare to get on a bus in London without somebody interrupting your journey with their tedious, monotone drivel.

I was thinking about this as my journey to a local hostelry was once again interrupted by some music that makes Stockhausen sound like Debussy.

If someone is playing music over a loudspeaker in a public area, should they be liable to pay money to the PRS, as they do not have the artist's or Composer's permission to play it. Would it make sense to ensure that anyone who downloads music from the Internet, be made to pay a fee, as all bands have to when playing park gigs etc. This is certainly a Draconian measure, but the only other alternative is for me to join them and blast out Radio 3 and see if they like my choice of music. The answer is obviously that they won't, and they probably wouldn't possess the required level of intelligence to realize they were being ridiculed.

Answer on a postcard to the usual address.

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I totally agree with you on this one. I regularly use the train services to and from London and last week actually complained to the guard when someone sat a few seats in front of me continued to blast out their 'monotone drivel' from their headphones. It is a pain in the backside to be honest, and why people have to have their music played so loudly in their ears is beyond me.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Someone has to sit in front of the trombones ;) :) :oops:

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I know of one example when an Underground driver announced over the tannoy "Would the person in the front carriage please turn down their music as I can hear it in the cab, and therefore it is too loud." :clap: Don't know if they did as my brother was in a different carriage.

I can just about cope with the headphones, as you don't get the full force of the irritation, but if they are on an open speaker, it justs makes me want to scream out. However in this day and age you don't know what the outcome of your actions might be, especially in East London.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I use the train to travel to work every day and would never travel without my IPOD. However, I have earphones which don't play the sounds to the rest of the carriage. Sometimes I can hear other peoples noise even though I have my earphones on.

On "One" Railways our trains actually have a quiet coach where the use of laptops, headphones, mobiles and any other electrical is not permitted. I find this really odd in some ways as it is fine for people to talk all the way home which can be really annoying when trying to read or nod off but you can't play your music to yourself.

6. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

The cheek of it!! ;)

7. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

join them and blast out Radio 3 and see if they like my choice of music. The answer is obviously that they won't, and they probably wouldn't possess the required level of intelligence to realize they were being ridiculed.

HAHA! What a great comedy sketch that would make. Very Trigger Happy!

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Had a real deja vu moment until I realised you'd not used the quote function...

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with me ;)

Do what I do - console yourself with the thought that they are damaging their hearing beyond repair by listening to headphones at that volume, and that in 15 years when I can still tell the difference between a sop and a flugel they'll have to nail pneumatic compressors to their ear drums just to wake up in the morning.

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I have been on trains in Sweden where you are not only not allowed to play music but you're not allowed to talk either! In fact, we didn't notice the sign telling us this but the elderly gentleman who wanted us to shut up let us know - but of course, he had to do so without talking himself. It was a very nice journey for a change!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ipods
    Stockhausen
    London
    journey
    playing music
  12. on_castors

on_castors Member

It's not just on public transport... whilst sitting here reading this thread I have heard two cars pass, (streets away as I live in a cul-de-sac) who are actually moving my walls with the Bass escaping from their car hi-fis.

The same people will be moaning about inadequate treatment for deafness in 20 years :-(

13. dyl

dyl Active Member

What next? People complaining about ambulance/fire engine/police car sirens?

14. MISS PITCH

MISS PITCH Member

oh so very true!

did u no u can get a collapsed lung from that type of volume?!

idiots.. but hey, they sound unbearably COOL!

15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Count yourself lucky. The people in the flat above me live their whole lives like that, which means that I have to too! :mad:

I wish that whoever built this block of flats had thought to put a bit of sound insulation in, then maybe I wouldn't be able to hear Mr and Mrs Hemorrhoid all the time! :(

I'd move house (I'd love to move anyway), but who'd buy my flat with that sort of noise all the time???

16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

hee hee, this thread looks like a good advert for the next series of "Grumpy old men" to me! ;)

I've just brought an ipod (i had to take advantage of them being cheaper over here!) and intend on getting my moneys worth out of it by listening to it on full volume! Well not quite, but seeing as i seem to spend half my time on either a plane/train/bus i do listen to music quite a lot- it's essential to beat off bordem!

I don't think you'll be able to "beat them" therefore you might as well join them and play brass music extremely loud on the undergroud- i'm sure you'll make your point quite well! ;)

17. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Harsh but fair. I've heard you play! ;) :p

Good plan. I certainly got some odd looks last night when that Estonian chamber choir were on while I was sat at some traffic lights!

Is there a trick to this? I had to venture into The South (cue Psycho music) the other week, and I had a Mahler symphony on at a respectable volume and I couldn't hear a thing over the noisy tube train!

18. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I have lost my 3rd iPod :(

If anyone finds it - its 30 gig, white, nearly full up and it has a hard plastic case and a great selection of tunes to deafen myself with. As it was on par with my beautiful Yamaha Xeno cornet as my most prized possession, I am feeling rather sad :(

iPods actually have a setting to limit the upper volume - anyone actually ever USED that?!?

19. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

This may well be me - after a 4 hour journey on the motorway from Leeds to Essex with the stereo turned up full blast (so I can hear the pianissimo bits over the groaning of my Fiesta's engine) I sometimes forget to turn down the volume when I get back to built up areas. I'm not sure what the Romford locals make of 'New Jerusalem' or 'Albion' but "moving the walls with bass" might well be "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" .... ?

20. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

How do you manage to lose an ipod?! I'm on my third mp3 player cos they keep breaking but i never lose them!

Sunny jimbob! Hello hello! to be honest i wouldnt try and alter your mp3 player to accomadate back ground noise, after managing to turn liz's camera blue its probably best you leave all technical stuff like that alone?! ;)

I am now counting down the days till im back at my computer to download itunes! :)

21. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I trod on two (don't ask) and I put my latest one down and it seems to have vanished off of the face of the earth :cry:

I obviously don't deserve and iPod.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ipods
    Stockhausen
    London
    journey
    playing music