Mobile Phones In The Band Room

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by carbon selector, May 9, 2009.

1. carbon selector

carbon selector New Member

I would have thought it obvious that mobile phones should be switched off or silent when at band, but the band I'm with just now don't seem to have a policy. Even if there are a few bars rest some of the younger players use the chance to do a bit of texting. It's all a bit distracting and I wondered am I being grumpy. What does your band do?

2. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Our band Camborne do a thing such as have your mobile on loud or something and get caught with it 2quid fine ;) Never see a phone in youth band ;) hahaa

3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I have mine on silent and will quite often text during a few bars rest if I get the chance, particularly if I'm on the back row. Very naughty I know... :oops:

4. jdfaulkner

jdfaulkner New Member

One of the worst in our band for frequently texting during rehearsal is a school teacher! It's very annoying.

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We insist they go on silent at very least. And messing about or using them during rehearsal (unless there's some extenuating circumstance, work related or important domestic issue etc, means you need to use it) is a no no.

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

There is often texting between the percussion, tuba and trombone section in our band. Topics vary from where to go after rehearsal, to complaints about rehearsal. I know of limited texts from the bariphoniums and horns...but do to proximity to conductor they usually lay low.

All band members are smart enough to keep it on silent.

7. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Join Grange Moor...most mobiles don t work up here...only vodaphone ...sometimes...great as an excuse for the other half when you are out with your bird !:p

8. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Our band has just decided that any phone use in rehearsal means the culprit has to bring a cake to the next practice - we enjoyed a big caramel cake a couple of weeks ago! Yum Yum!

9. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

It's basic common decency & good manners to put your phone on silent during a rehearsal. As 2MD said, only if its mega important should anyone accept texts or phone calls. It's about having a bit of respect for the man/woman in the middle & your fellow band members NOT to text during rehearsals. I think it's quite disgusting really & I would personally be offended. There you go.... that's being grumpy!! :frown:

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

In the various youth groups I work with the problem of texting during rehearsals is huge. One way of at least keeping them on silent has been the policy of "if your phone makes a noise, you read out the txt"
    A lot of the inter-section txting has suddenly become a lot cleaner, lol

We try to encourage the students to concentrate on the music, but txting is now such a part of their life that the thought of a whole 2 hours without being able to say hlo to the person five feet away is seemingly an impossible one for them to comprehend.

As for the adult ensembles - we just keep ours on silent and the vast majority of the time we have enough respect for each other that we don't sit there sending texts during rehearsals. There are, of course, times when you do need your phone available (family problems etc) but I am sure we can all manage a couple of hours without the need for total connectivity.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Band Room
    Mobile Phones
    mobiles
    years
    ll
  12. Al

Al Member

....sums up my thoughts too.

13. Eb_Alex

Eb_Alex Member

Our MD keeps his phone on his stand (but on silent) but only if we have had to lock the door, so latecomers can get in touch and be let in.

I sometimes have to have my phone on if I am on call from work, but I ensure I have told the MD and also the others in my section before and apologise for any distractions caused by it.

There used to be texting between sections but that has died out it seems.

14. x.Gemma.x

x.Gemma.x New Member

Mine is always on silent- but when I check it during the break I ALWAYS have texts from certain back row cornet players, and occasionally certain people on my row!
    I don't know how they do it, I don't think I could concentrate on anything else, I'd end up missing entries!

15. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I just put mine on vibrate, which when the band's playing (or even when it's not) doesn't intrude at all

16. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

I don't get signal at our bandroom, so it doesn't matter to me really!

17. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Using a mobile in band is B****Y UNPROFESSIONAL AND VERY VERY BAD MANNERS!!!:mad::mad:
    B****Y CUT IT OUT!!!:mad:
    NOW!!!!:mad::mad:

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  18. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

silent, however whenever our conductor says horns and baritones i do text coz i know it will be a while!!

19. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

In my job, I have to be on call one week in every four and have to carry my mobile when I am on call. My contract states I have to respond as soon as called and have to be working on the issue I was called for within 30 minutes. Given this, I feel that it is not unreasonable for me to be able to have my phone on during rehearsals when I am on call. In that way I can continue to contribute to the rehearsals during on my weeks on call while still being able to fulfil my contractual obligations to my employer.

Yes this is a compromise and yes it can disturb rehearsals; the alternative is I just don't go to band practice when I am on call and that is not fair to the other players who do attend.

Which bit of that is unprofessional?

20. Bandsman1

Bandsman1 Member

Mobile phones

You should definately stamp out this disrespect right away.

I will not go into why this should not be happening in your band, other to say that some of my bands players take their mobiles into band "on silent mode" so not to distract. They do so only because they are "on call" with their work and this is understandable.

But younger players do not have this excuse and I would make them turn their mobs off or they leave the band. Seemples!

21. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

harsh

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Band Room
    Mobile Phones
    mobiles
    years
    ll