Mobile phones and contests - what should happen?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stopher, Feb 9, 2003.

1. stopher

stopher Member

Anyone got any ideas what a band could/should do if a mobile phone goes off during a performance at a contest.

It happened to the band that I conduct 2 years ago at the regional and a few of the players said that they were put off by it.

Are there any solutions to this - I know a lot of contests have announcements but even they don't always work!

Chris

2. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

I hate mobile phones. I refuse to own one.

If there was something I'd put in Room 101, it would be mobile phones.

I think anyone who can't be bothered to turn their mobile off, regardless of whether or not it's their fault if it rings, should be disqualified.

It's all about showing a little respect for the band on stage, whether it's your band or not.

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

During the 2nd Section at Preston today someone actually made a call and said 'band number 9 is just about to play' whilst the band was getting ready to play. I couldn't believe it!!! :shock: :shock: She wasn't exactly discreet about it either! Mobile phones at contests is about inline with talking during a band's performance. Yep Fishta, it does show a lack of respect for the band and it is just plain rude! At NNEMBA last week a guy was sitting behing me and talked all the way the performances. After giving him 'dead-eyes' and that not working I just told him (inbetween performances obviously) to stop talking when the bands are on stage or I would report him to the contest controllers 8) That shut him up!

The other pet-hate of mine is people making really loud comments about a band's performance when they haven't even left the stage yet. Whether the comment is negative or positive at least wait till the players are out of ear-shot!

4. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

One contest many years ago, it was one of the door attendants whose phone went off in the middle of our performance. Instead of turning it off, he went outside to answer it!
    Also, in the very same performance, there was a film crew acutally SETTING UP for a documentary on one of the bands later on in the contest!
    Our band was not happy with it at all!

5. Owen

Owen Member

At Pontins a couple of years ago, the MD of one of the bands had forgotten to switch off his own mobile. It rang a couple of times whilst the band was on stage. Can't recall which band it was, but he was pretty angry by the end of it!

6. hornblower

hornblower Member

Maybe it should be like exams where all bags and pockets are searched - all mobiles to left in the registration room???
    Also fixed fines in audiences... that is something the theatre i used to work for are trying to get passed through! 8)

7. Tubby the Tuba

Tubby the Tuba New Member

Give the stewards the power to eject people who use mobiles

Put up sign at the door and at the front of the stage saying

Use of Mobile Phones Prohibited - Switch off now.
    If your phone goes off or you use your phone you will be ejected and your ticket will be confiscated.

8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Re: Give the stewards the power to eject people who use mobi

I have this brilliant image of spring-loaded concert-hall seats...
    hehehehehehe

9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

maybe it would be a good idea for the contest controller to warn people about phones whilst he is announcing that band number X is ready.

10. stopher

stopher Member

Pontins Conductor

I remember the one in Pontins - Craig Roberts was the conductor. Only remember as he was my flatmate in college. He was well and truly p@ssed off!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    performance
    band
    years
    lot of contests
    Mobile phones
  12. hornblower

hornblower Member

the contest controller said that at the durham grading the other weekend...wonder if any phones went off....we were on first so the audience were a tad thin on the ground!!!!

13. Boneman

Boneman Member

The worst contest I have been to for mobiles phones ringing during performances is Pontins - In spite of regular warning from contest controllers (I recall one incident where a phone went off within a few seconds of the contest controllers announcement!).

I think that the stocks should be bought back for such offences!

By the way has anyone programmed their phone with any Brass Band music? - I did have my phone parping out the Trombone solo from the second movement of Cross Patonce at one stage! - Our conductor has Chicken Reel from Hootenanny on his - class or wot?

14. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

<sad fact>My phone rings with the first bars of Bryan Kelly's Divertimento.. </sad fact>

15. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

I don't have a mobile, but I know someone who had the Bass Solo to Bramwyn in his...

16. bigcol

bigcol Member

Mine does "The Acrobat" and used to do Ravenswood!

17. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

I can safely leave mine on - nobody ever rings. :cry: :cry: :cry:

18. picju96

picju96 Member

I have the main tunes from each of the movenments of Northern Landscapes, have number 4 on at the moment. Our band manager puts the main tunes on his phone of each test piece before we go to the contest and plays it just before we go on, 'just to remind us how it goes'. It's so predictable now!

19. stopher

stopher Member

Take it you're not playing Prague then!!!

20. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

Maybe there should be a law banning mobile phones at contest and concert venues like they are doing in America with the theatres. But, as people commented in America, how would this be achieved?

21. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can safely leave mine on - nobody ever rings.

That's because we all know where to find you????!!!**? :shock:

Did you ever add to the stains at the League? :?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    performance
    band
    years
    lot of contests
    Mobile phones