Mobile phone simcards

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Aug 22, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Right I have an Motorola V500 and its an Orange contract phone, but I want to put an O2 pay&go simcard in it, will that work? or do i have to fork out for a new phone??
  2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

You will have to get it unlocked so it can be used by any sim card - try your local market for stalls that do it for about a tenner
  3. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

But be aware, if you have anything saved on the phone i.e phone numbers, games, ringtones you will loss them all, i learnt the hard way.
  4. NeilW

NeilW Member

You can also buy simcard backup thingies that will extract and save all your phone numbers. Some will even do text messages (so possibly ringtones) too.

(Keep meaning to get one and back up all of our phone sims - certainly mine has loads of numbers I don't have anywhere else!)

5. meandmycornet

will all my numbers and photos go if they are saved to the phone?
    hmmm its too complicated!!
  6. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i think, you should get an o2 sim card, try it in, if the phone accepts it, dont waste your money on gettin your phone unlocked. if it doesnt like it, get your phone unlocked..
  7. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

If you save everything onto your current sim card then when the phone is unlocked you can transfer them back to the phone and then start using you new sim card.
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

If it's contact then it shouldn't be locked anyway...
  9. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I'm the same I've got a motorola V500 on Orange and I wanted to get it unlocked, but apparently Motorola's are really hard to unlock, it costs about £15 and it's like only a 50% chance of working!
  10. meandmycornet

Is yours on contract though? Ben said that it should already be unlocked if its a contract phone! Anybody know how I can find out if my phone is unlocked or not?
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Tesco sim cards are only about £4.99 and are on the O2 network, so might be worth you considering.
  12. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

stick a sim card in thats not on orange (or that strange 3 network). if an O2/t-mobile/whatever else there is one works in it, you're sorted.
  13. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Yer mine was on contract, it's got an orange pay as you go sim in it now though, won't take any other sim card though!