Mobile phone SIM question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by hicks, Apr 28, 2008.

1. hicks

hicks Member

I'm currently with O2, on a 'Pay as you go' tariff. But my phone has now broken and I need a new one.

I want to retain my current number, so was planning to transfer my SIM into the new phone. Can anyone say for sure if I can use my existing SIM in the new phone?

Thanks.
    Andrew.

2. Di

Di Active Member

I think you can so long as you either get a phone which is unlocked, (most of Carphone Warehouse phones are unlocked, just pop in and ask them) or if you can't do that buy any other phone that is O2.

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Or buy a phone from Tesco's. Same network (although they call it Tescos, it's provided by O2)

4. lilz

lilz Member

And if you realise once you get it that it is locked, every market has a guy that will unlock it for a fiver.

5. hicks

hicks Member

Carphone warehouse charge a much higher price for their unlocked phones though. You can get them a lot cheaper if you agree to buy £10 worth of talk time on a specific network. If I bought a locked in phone at the lower price, could I then substitue my existing SIM for the one which came with the phone?

BTW I've read stuff about PAC codes, which allow you to port your number to other networks. I don't think there's a cost involved in this.

6. Di

Di Active Member

So long as it was on the same network as your SIM, that won't be a problem.

Not sure about these days, but we were originally on Orange and had very poor reception anywhere in or around the house, so we decided to change. It took Orange 3 weeks and lots of calls and nagging AND £20 per phone to unlock our phones. :frown:

7. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

as long as it is another phone from O2 or is 'SimFree' then yes you can keep your own sim and number...you dont even have to tell o2 your doing it

8. millie6589

millie6589 Member

Yeah, as long as it is an 02 phone you can do it. And quite often, if you do tell them that you have got a new phone, they will give you some kind of 'upgrade reward', I've had free credit, free calls etc before

9. hicks

hicks Member

Interesting. Here's the response I got from O2. I think maybe they assume
    that I'm on a fixed monthly contract, even though I said I'm on
    PAYG. It does make sense to me that I could simply transfer the existing
    SIM to the new phone.

For us to transfer your mobile number to another O2 contract, we need
    you to give us the following information:

A] Mobile number you wish to keep: Awaiting

B] PAC: Will be generated by us at the time of transfer

C] Temporary mobile number: Awaiting

D] New SIM card number: Awaiting

10. millie6589

millie6589 Member

Is your current phone registered on their website? if it is you can just amend your details on there and you used to be able to find out about the upgrade reward but think you might have to ring up about it now. the only time your number would need to be moved would be if you lost your SIM card, they can transfer it to another one, but to just swap your phone and keep the card, you don't need to do that

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    one.
    number
    phone
    SIM
    Thanks.Andrew
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Yes, they've assumed contract, which you don't have.

My daughter (who IS on a contract) but with t-mobile, has just been and bought herself a new phone, although she is due for an upgrade in a couple of months. The phone has been an absolute nightmare. We have it repaired, sent back, repaired, and even replaced with new in January and still there are numerous problems, so she finally caved and bought a new one, simply walked into Argos and picked a cheap Nokia on t-mobile. No problems at all.

Also, we have the Carphone Warehouse "Fresh" sims. They are not contract, but we pay monthly by direct debit for what we have used. I've also just bought a new phone, kept the same sim. All I had to do was find a phone either unlocked or on t-mobile which is the network which Fresh use.

I bought mine from Phones4U. To be sure of it working, I asked the chap in the shop if it would be ok. He fetched out a t-mobile phone, took my sim, put it in, told me to start it up and dial. It worked. Bingo. One new phone.

So take yourself shopping and go for it, but do ask them if you can try it. They won't mind if it means them making a sale. :)

13. hicks

hicks Member

Thanks for all the advice. I now have a new Motorola W377

14. Di

Di Active Member

Great. Who did you go to in the end?

15. hicks

hicks Member

Carphone Warehouse. This handset was advertised at £24.95 + £10 talk time. But for some reason they only charged me £14.97, and I didn't have to buy the talk time. What a bargain!

16. Di

Di Active Member

A result all round then. :tup