Mobile Phone/Horse Rider

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, May 30, 2007.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yesterday on my way home from work i was about 200 yards from my house when i noticed a young girl on a horse on the opposite side of the road i slowed down as the road is not very wide as it is a lane.
    I could not help but notice she was using a mobile phone.
    what would have happened if the horse would have suddenly panicked and decided to bolt with the girl on the horse.
    She would not have had full control of the horse.
    Do you think that horse riders should not do something like that as its just as bad as car drivers when they use mobile phones with out hands free kit.
    What are opinions on the above
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Perhaps she was on a 'Neigh as you Go' contract? ;)

Seriously - for safety and consistency's sake - yes, they should be made to use a handsfree like other road users.

My own personal opinion is that horses shouldn't be on roads anyway, but that's a different subject entirely.............
  3. Di

Di Active Member

OMG Dyl, that is soooo bad. ;)
    Eeek, I'd had to think where you plug the hands free set in! :eek:

I don't mind horses so much. You slow down to pass and that's fine. It's when they come out with the "horse and trap" and they're trotting down the road and there is no way you can pass.

We have a very large gypsy set up near us and we often come across 4 or 5 sets of pony and trap going along the road and they do anything they can to avoid letting you by. But again, that's another subject . :rolleyes:
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Set Gordon Ramsay loose on them. :)
  5. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Probably similar to what the horse left on your lane. ;)

Why were you looking at a horse anyway? Working out how many sausages you could make?
  6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

It's difficult to get worked up about something that doesn't really go above 5 miles an hour!

I think its up to the owner, if they trust the horse and feel in full control of it (they must do to a certain extent just to take it on the road) then they make the choice to be on the phone. Hopefully it was an important call tho and not just a dicussion about last nights eastenders!
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Unless they're clogging up the road for loads of cars behind them who can't past due to heavy traffic coming the other way......................
  8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

No big deal. The rider probably knows the horse and shoud it bolt unexpectedly it's not a problem to drop the phone and use both hands. One hand is enough to control normally.
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hope she had her phone on silent! There are some ringtones around that scare me, let alone the horses!! :biggrin:

I have no problem with horses on the road. They were here first after all, and if it wasn't for horses we wouldn't have many of the roads we do now. Although I would object if I saw someone riding a horse round the M25!! ;)
  10. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

They'd probably be going faster than most of the cars!:biggrin:
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That's why I would object!! :biggrin:
  12. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

....but you could say exactly the same about a car - you know how to handle it, you could drop the phone and you can normally control it with one hand. I could do the same riding a bike. The problem comes when something unexpected happens. The riders should be restricted in the same way drivers are (but should be free to roam along the roads along with pedestrians - they were there far earlier than these new-fangled motor carriages.
  13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Agreed completely, was going to say pretty much all of what you've said!
  14. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

15. ronnie_the_lizard

16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

17. Bungle

Bungle Member

The only time a horse should be on the road is in a horse box or in a glue lorry. It is too dangerous now for them to be on the road, just think what a horse can do to cyclists or motocyclists if spooked.
  18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Cars are nothing like horses now are they? Phones were banned while driving for a very good reason. Full concentration is required to drive well. If you were driving at 5 mph I might agree with you but you won't be, whereas a horse will be plodding along, so far less likely to be a problem.

Whether horses should be on a busy road is another matter.
  19. ronnie_the_lizard

...mmmm......sorry but that doesn't work at all for me.

A car is a machine that obeys the laws of physics so you can reasonably predict how it will move / behave. A horse might be plodding along while you make the call but has the potential if spooked to suddenly accelerate to 40mph with no warning and in unpredictable directions. A horse is, by it's very nature, an unpredictable beast and riding a horse takes at least as much concentration as driving a car, if not more.
  20. ronnie_the_lizard

If the road is that busy that there is a problem, the local authority should be providing a better alternative footpath/cycle-lane/bridlepath so that all route users can do so safely.