Mnemonics for passages in Brass Pieces

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, you've had your starter for 10 in another thread.

(Opening to Partita: "D'oh, D'oh, D'oh, Don't have a cow, man!")

And a second - Shipbuilders Third Movement "Oh, damn the thing, Oh, damn the thing, oh, damn the thing, Oh-oh damn the thing!"

Any others?

2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

erm it would help if thick people like me knew what memomnics were.

3. If you heard the opening to Partita as Will says, you wont have any doubts of what he means....;)

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

explained it to her :roll: :lol:

Bless!

;-)

5. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ok i understand now!! thanx naomi!!! :D

erm our youth band had "i like tea and toast for breakfast, i like tea and toast and marmalade for breakfast, but not with jam" for a passage in music from kantara

6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I'd never heard a conductor use mnemonics until I joined Godalming! I assumed it was just a southern band thing. Only then did I discover the words for the bass solo in Castell Coch:

Have a cup of tea
    Have a cup of tea
    Have a cup of tea
    Have a cup of tea
    Have a cup of tea have a cup of tea
    Have a cup of tea have a cup of tea
    Have a cup of tea
    Have - a - cup - of - tea.

He also said 'play it like you're giving a dog a bone' and I've still no idea what he meant...

D

7. Will the Sec

Can't make that scan to the bass solo, David: it seems to work for the cornet solo, though?

8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

"Hippopotamus" works for nicely spaced quintuplets (is that a word?!) at the start of London overture.

9. Straightmute

Maybe I'm thinking of Caerfilly not Coch. Geographically they're quite close and I get them confused, although the castles themselves could not be more different...

D

10. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Had one a few years ago with my clarinet quartet. The girls were having trouble with some rhythm (I can't remember the details) so I told them "Your sister's a fat cow".

It Worked!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Pieces
    D'oh, D'oh
    Shipbuilders Third Movement
    Partita
    thing
  12. Ste69

Ste69 Member

2 sugars please David!!!

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Always used to refer to the opening of Music for A festival as......oh I hadn't better say it (family friendly and all that) but it's a football chant beloved by Millwall supporters in particular and refers to what will happen to the opposing supporters after (or during) the match.

Does anyone know what I'm on about?

We have a percussionist who remembers a rhythm by saying "I like.....potatoes". You can see her mouthing the words when she plays.
    Seems to work though..... :D

14. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Funny you should mention that one...The first six notes of "music for a festival" can be heard by dialling my mates phone number on a touchtone phone.....How sad is that????? :cry:

Never helped me remember any of it though :!:

15. Straightmute

Crikey 69, your drinking habits have taken a turn for the worst...

D

16. Ste69

Ste69 Member

OK....I've finally remembered it.... We used to play a piece (not at my present band) called "The Gael" and the horns could never get the rhythm to their intro of the quicker theme right.

So our conductor seared into their brains (and the rest of the band's at the same time) the phrase...

"Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed Go to bed ".....ad nauseum.... (It was only a triplet with a dotted figure in it.

(If Valvecap reads this...He'll know what I mean)

17. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

McCann has managed to embed the way to play a group of five tuplets correctly in one of the euph. players heads at uni ...

"Pa-ra-cet-o-mel"

:lol:

18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Likewise, to get a septuplet in time to land on the following note I was always taught:

gi-na-lol-lo-brig-i-da (da)

Bit of a tongue twister but it works.

19. Will the Sec

The lifts in my previous work place play the first four notes of MFAF.

20. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

That's a seriously horrible part! But the way I played it was more like "Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God..... Knackered now, Knackered now, Knackered now, Knackered now, Knackered now"!! :lol:

21. HBB

HBB Active Member

:lol: :D

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Pieces
    D'oh, D'oh
    Shipbuilders Third Movement
    Partita
    thing