mixed culture relationships, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by flower girl, Oct 13, 2006.

1. flower girl

flower girl Member

Just wondered what everyones opinions are of mixed culture relationships, having just ended one myself i am curious to know what everyone thinks the pro's and cons are of them

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well the cynic in me says that if the other person still has links with the country his / her family comes from originally, then you can get cheap holidays! :tongue:

Other than that, I can't see that it matters particularly.

3. annieds

annieds Member

I'm the daughter of a Jamaican father and Scottish mother and I'm married to an Englishman. Works fine for us and has done for 25 years. Differences in culture, religion, colour only damage a relationship if you let them or you let others opinions and ideas get between you. I do know one Englishman in New Zealand in his 80s who is embarrassed about having a Maori wife. Presumably she was Maori when they married 50 years ago. It was soon made plain by other whites that it was not acceptable.
    The biggest differences between Andy and me are the facts that I'm a bandsman and he's a morris man. Those differences are pretty unsurmoutable really

Annie

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

A MORRIS MAN??? Annie there are limits for mixed Marriages you know! ;)

5. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Corrr! I thought I was the only one in that sort of mixed marriage. I too play & hubbie is a morris man!!! Sad thing is he doesn't see anything wrong in it - being a morris man that is!

Don't say anything Rapier - you've met the man!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  6. smila

smila Member

Hi :)
    I'm white and Im currently dating a guy from Tanzenia - but it makes no difference whatsoever. Just don't let other people with stupid opinions on mixed relationships get in your way, and they can be great.
    No problem!
    :)
    xx

7. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

My dad is Iraqi and my mother is irish. No problems with this but our summer holidays were always spent in airport security.

On a lighter note, I would hope that Britain has moved on to a point whereby a relationship is considered fine if the people within said relationship are happy, safe and mutually happy with it? Shouldn't matter really if cultural differences exist?

8. annieds

annieds Member

Their total innocence can be quite touching can't it? Bless! Who does he dance for? Mine's a Westminster man.

MM do make remarkably good kissers, I find. I think it's because they don't wear out their embouchures

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2006
  9. annieds

annieds Member

I know. But I wanted a violinist once and that's far more unnatural

10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

In my opinion it should make no difference. As long as two people love each other they dont need anything else and their respective backgrounds/origins shouldnt make any difference at all. Sometimes things just don't work out, no matter what the race of the two individuals involved

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SHOULDN'T
    cases of relationships
    multicultural relationships
    mixed culture relationships
  12. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Well said , Dan.:clap: :clap:

13. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Mine dances for Tarka Morris MEN (North Devon) - apparantly its country dancing if women are involved :eek:

Agree re the kissing, but mine sustains numerous injuries to the head - waving great lumps of wood around at great speed - and of course: "incredibly athletic as well - jumping several feet in the air" end of quote from brain damaged husband ;)

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

LMAO!!!

15. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Mixed Culture/ age differences / distance relationships, surely its the same sort of sitution, the circumstances can all have an effect on the relationship but at the end of the day it comes down to the individuals themselves and if they are prepared to work at the relationship? If its meant to be it's meant to be, if not then it wont work. well thats just my veiw!

16. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Totally agree.

I also think that if you are having to think if anything is an "issue" in a relationship you are in then maybe it isn't right for you anyway. If you are 100% happy with some one, nothing is an issue you just don't think about factors that may "affect" your relationship

17. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Although it should be like that, I think you're being a bit simplistic. Tell that to asian girls who are victims of 'honour killings' or who are spirited away to India/Pakistan and forced into arranged marriages because they fell for someone who their family disapproved of.

Unfortunately stuff like that does happen - usually when theres 3 in the relationship - the boy, the girl and religion.

18. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Well to be honest I was saying it from my point of view, as I'll never be in a situation like you've mentioned I doubt I'll be ever able to think about it.
    But despite your worse case scenario I still feel the same, I'm sure people will come up with a hundred scenarios that will still make my thoughts simplistic. Unless the originator of this thread was about to be bundled in the back of a van and driven to India maybe I can look at the more optimistic side of life

19. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I think the originator of the thread was merely making the point that she had finished with her boyfriend really?!i mean does that fact that it was a mixed culture relationship really matter? If you love someone you love someone.

20. flower girl

flower girl Member

No i wasn't actually, ther only reason we split was because of the differences in cultures and his religion is very strong, i was simply wondering what people thought of whats good and bad about multicultural relationships, and yes if you love some one it SHOULDN'T matter but unfortunately that quite often isn't the case, as i have found out. unless you have been in the situation, you really shouldn't be quite so naive as to think in all cases of relationships, love is all that matters. if you were in a relationship and were told that if you stayed with this person your entire family would disown you and would never have anything to do with you again what would you do??

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Happily I don't have a family that would ever do that because they're mature and educated enough to realise that the colour of someone's skin or the religion they follow has got absolutely nothing to do with them, but if I did, it would be the last time they spoke to me until they came to apologise.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SHOULDN'T
    cases of relationships
    multicultural relationships
    mixed culture relationships