Mission Statements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Feb 13, 2008.

IYOUNG Member

Does your band have a mission statement and a set of Objectives?

If so any thoughts on content would be gratefully received

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I don't think its formal but to do as many contests as possible to maximise the drinking opportunities in the bar.
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Oh, for God's sake!

Mission statement? Are you on drugs?:eek:
  4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure you're impressed with the feedback so far ;)

I could paraphrase an anonymous quote as follows:

"Please consider any mistakes made during our performance to be deliberate. Our mission is to try to have something for everyone in all our performances and, since some people are always looking for mistakes, we feel obligated to include them".

However, since I was born in High Wycombe, I also feel obligated to provide a potentially useful response:

"To exceed the expectations of each audience through the careful selection of a varied and interesting repertoire; through the complete commitment in rehearsal and preparation of each member of the band; thereby attaining the highest level of performance possible in all aspects of our presentation".

All the best!

IYOUNG Member

No surprise from the opening responses i'm afraid - read loads of threads and you get similar responses that the only thing that matters in banding is to tell everyone how much and how important drinking alcohol is.

The question was asked in the hope that, I would be able to satisfy the needs of a couple of major potential sponsors of my band.

I'd like to take that forward which seems emminently sensible to me.

So if anyone has any sensible suggestions they would be gratefully received. If you haven't don't waste any effort

6. hicks

hicks Member

To be fair though, you should have explained your motivation for this in the first posting. Mission statements are in my experience practically irrelevant, or state something blindingly obvious such as "we aim to build the best quality product ever", or words to that effect.
    Similarly, a mission statement or objectives for a brass band are self-evident. For contesting bands their objective is to beat every other band, and also strive to produce the best quality music they possibly can.
    In terms of a sponsor, I would have thought their main concern was getting the band to be as active as possible, to maximise their publicity.
  7. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Who are the potential sponsors? That may also drive your mission statement. Our sponsorship is the Co op and they are more interested in our involvement within the local community, developing youth and future talent, bringing music to the local area than they are about our contesting appearances. If it were a certain brewer sponsoring you then you would prabably want to be be the best Brass Band in the world and contesting would be more important!
  8. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

There is a direct and relevant point here and that is that each sponsor may be looking for something different from the band. You may find that what impresses one sponsor does absolutely nothing for another. I am afraid you will have to do a bit more research on your potential sponsors to find out what it is they will be looking for. You may find it useful to see what else they have sponsored to see what they gained from that sponsorship and if possible the aims of the sponsor in making arrangements with previous partners.

I am afraid that simple mission statements will not be targetted enough to gain the backing of those you are courting.
  9. weemarky

weemarky Member

I'm sure our youth band has something along those lines. while there pop into the senior band page as wel there may be somethin on there aswel.

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

There was something on tv a while back where a small hotel were creating a mission statement.
    The management came up with the tag line " .....Where OK is never good enough." When asked what they thought the staff said '...ummm.. well its OK...."
  11. John Brooks

......and therein lies the challenge behind all mission statements I think. It's relatively common for companies to come up with a flowery statement but the real issue is "How are you going to attain your goal"? The "How we will get there" associated with any statement is equally important but imo rarely gets the same attention.
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Why not just tell them what you want to achieve with the benefit of their sponsorship. Please don't call it a 'mission statement' that's just pandering to the PC crowd. If they really want a mission statement I'd be prepared to say stuff your funding, you are not the kind of organisation I want to be sponsored by.
  13. RobBari

RobBari Member

'to boldly go where no band has gone before....' (including split infinitive). soryy wrongsort of mission mybe!
  14. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I really don't see what mission statements has to do with political correctness! :-?
    To lose funding just because you don't like the idea of mission statements is crazy. What is the problem in providing a statement of your ideas and ethos anyway?
  15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I'm with Mike - I bet Wren, Brunel, Stephenson, et al never had a mission statement.

If dealings between any two bodies relies on one long contrived sentence then god help us all.
  16. John Brooks

........and I would venture to say that these gentlemen would be quick to utilize any modern development that they believed would be to their advantage. None would have risked losing an opportunity for the sake of a few words. Maybe they didn't have contracts either but we're living in different times. If a mission statement is required as a condition of sponsorship, understanding that these are not easy to come by, then surely it's a no-brainer.
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Perhaps an Elevator Pitch rather than a Mission Statement is in order.

For those that haven't heard of an elevator pitch, the idea goes something like-

Your in a lift, someone else steps in. You've now got a few flights (15 seconds say) to tell someone all about your organisation so that it provokes interest in what you do. If you've not grabbed their attention by the time the doors open, you've lost it.