Missing parts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Mar 21, 2008.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

How do you obtain a missing part without either having to buy the whole piece again or contravene the copyright laws?

Isn't it a shame that many bands will have perfectly good pieces to play except that one part is missing? Would the composer/arranger prefer to have royalties from a band playing with one photocopied part or none at all because there is a part missing?

Sorry this is contentiuos, but I got "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" out of the Library only to find the 2nd trom part missing........ so back it goes to gather dust for ever more!

Incidently, which part do you find missing most often? I do not want to offend any particular Section, but I have my favourite candidates (Mods can you set up a vote or is that being a bit too trivial?)

2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I'll be following this with interest. When my band started from scratch 4 years ago, we were given a load of music, much of which has parts missing. If there's a legal answer, our library will increase substantially.

Does writing out a missing part from the score contravene the copyright law?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In short, yes, it does!

I would contact the publishers and ask them what they would suggest. I reckon most would be willing to supply the missing part at a reasonable cost. If the set is out of print, they may be able to supply an authorised photocopy, as SP&S can usually do in such cases.
  4. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Peter is right. Most publishers in my experience will supply extra parts. They may be a bit pricy but the labour involved is the same as selling a whole set.
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I've had mixed experiences.

One company sent me a PDF of the missing part by email and said print it. (Practical and quick - though they did have the record of my band buying the piece a year or two before.) Another charged about a fiver including P&P, and I got it the next day. One was so unreasonable that I never pursued it and have never bought from them again...

But I would say "don't ask, don't get".
  6. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

i find the sop part is normally missing :( it does get annoying after two pieces havent gt the sop part in one rehersal :( im one of the lucky 1s who doesnt find transposing solo cornet hard tho ;)
  7. The Wherryman

Can anyone please explain where the missing parts finish up? Is there a City of Lost Music out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered?

My music is either in my pad or on my stand - I don't find I've got a need to put it anywhere else.
  8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Suggest people take up Broadnib Music's idea....they supply their score and parts on CD as PDFs with a free licence that allows the purchasing Band to print them off as they need / lose them.
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Eerie, Indiana.

Thank you, li'l paper boy.
  10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

They often land up tucked inside another part of another piece that was taken in at the same time - so, they are probably in the library - somewhere!!

Except bass trombone: Paul H- if you are reading this, you owe me April in Paris!!
  11. The Wherryman

This can happen. However, for my sins, I am my band's librarian and I count the pieces in as if I was counting pound notes (for those who remember when a pound was worth something!).

I did recently find a cache of missing music in a "hidden" compartment in the instrument case of a cornet player who had left the band, but only after several months when the instrument was passed on to a new player!
  12. millie6589

millie6589 Member

its always 2nd and 3rd cornet parts that are missing and quite often flugel..but i don't know what the heck these people do with their music cos its the same story every week! and one persons excuse every week is 'it's still on my stand at home from when i was practising'...hmmm...
  13. The Wherryman

If I can get someone to admit they still have the part, I consider that an accomplishment.

I find it's usually when there are multiple parts (for example, but not exclusively, solo/2nd/3rd cornet that I have a problem. Everybody swears blind they've handed their part in, but it's surprising what can be found with a "pad raid" :)

PS How many of you file music starting with "The" under "T"?
  14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Having gone through nearly every piece in our library so far, I think the part that's missing most is the Bass Trombone, we've got loads of them missing!
  15. silkenrose

silkenrose New Member

re all these missing parts....

When the work was composed or arranged the composer or arranger included, say, a 2nd baritone part. Would it be an infringement of copyright if the work is performed without said part being played?

(i.e. the 2nd baritone player looks over the shoulder of the 1st baritone player and plays that part instead....)

For the purpose of this question, lets say that the 2nd baritone part is not "critical" to a musical performance in anyway.
  16. Al

Al Member

A few years ago I once suggested that there could be a part of the forum (it might not have been tmp?) dedicated to helping each other out with missing parts. A bit like the Lost and Found section. But this would have potentially put the forum in a position of aiding people to break copyright rules.

A pity because there are so many great pieces in our own extensive library going back over 100 years, that we just don't play because of the occasional missing part.

It is so easy to scan and email copies these days, I would suggest getting to know people on the forum and helping each other out and contacting by PM. Our librarian is obsessive about sorting the music and has a long list of missing parts. I would love to make her day by presenting her with even a handful of those parts.

Some of the pieces are way out of print anyway, published by Boosey & Co for example, is it best that we play the piece, or not for the sake of the bass trombone part being lost?

It would be great to be able to have our missing parts lists on the internet and to do some swapping.
  17. The Wherryman

You mean a bit like the peer-to-peer programs that already exist and through which a great deal of illegal file sharing takes place.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's a great idea in respect of music that is impossible to replace in any other way, but, in general, I don't think it would find favour with the publishers and composers who would lose revenue.
  18. Anglo Music Press

It would be wrong to assume that, just because a piece is 'out-of-print' that you can't get spare parts for it.

Boosey's, especially, have maintained a dedicated archive service (brass bands now handled by Studio Music, I think) that kept files copies of all their publications, in- or out-of print. If a file set exists, then I'm sure you will be able to replace missing parts.

Definitely worth speaking to Studio Music.

BTW the term 'out-of-print' has little meaning nowadays. It dates back to the times when music was printed and it was necessary to print, say, 500 sets at a time to keep the price reasonable. If a publisher thought a piece had sold as many copies as it was likely to sell, then it wouldn't be worth prining another 500 sets and it was put out-of-print.

These days nearly all band publishers user digital copiers so it is economically possible to print only a handful of sets as the costs of setting up plates and inking up a printer no longer apply. So, as long as a file set exists, most band pieces are now always 'in-print' - even if they may have not been available since 1930.
  19. Anglo Music Press

Worth repeating, I guess, but this would not be legal.

The parts are probably gettable from the original publisher - see above.
  20. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

We had our instruments stolen out of our car approx 10 years ago when Mr Sparke was involved with Studio Music. We had a contest in 3 days and the music for it was in our cases (Cornet and Flugel) we had managed to obtain the other parts for the contest programme except for 1 piece which was published by Studio Music. On contacting Mr Sparke he without any hesitaion sent us the parts without charge and we recieved them the next day.

I never did get the chance to thank him at the time

So here is a belated "Thank You" Philip