Missing part - "Salute to Jolson"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, Jun 11, 2018.

1. jobriant

jobriant Member

The Pacific Brass Band recently purchased a "previously owned" arrangement online, and we find that there's a part (or parts?) missing. The arrangement is "Salute to Jolson," arranged by Edrich Seibert and published by B. Feldman & Co., Ltd. We're missing the drum / percussion part or parts (not sure what's supposed to be there, but while we have all the brass parts, we have no drum or percussion parts). Can anyone loan or sell us the missing part(s)?

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

I think this is still sold by Studio Music. they are very helpful and if you email them
    sales@studio-music.co.uk I'm sure they will be able to get you a copy of the missing part.

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Perhaps your problem is not that the percussion part is missing, but that the rest of the parts are present...?

2nd tenor, midlandman and 4th Cornet like this.
  4. jobriant

jobriant Member

Thank you. I'll contact them & we'll see what happens.

5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

[ We play a concert each year at a Traditional Jazz Festival in Monterey, California. At this annual event, we play 3 - 4 pieces from the repertoire used by Traditional Jazz Bands; these are most often popular tunes from about 1918 - 1930 or 1935, and they're pieces that are familiar to our audience. Three of the four selections in the "Salute so Jolson" Medley are "Trad Jazz repertoire" tunes. The fourth is"California, Here I Come," always popular with California audiences. ]

And that is also part of the Traditional Jazz repertoire

You can't get better than that....

6. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

@Anno Draconis. I did laugh at this but then I have a British sense of humour, and some sense of not ‘biting the hand that feeds me’ too.

Perhaps my computer is special but I noticed that your full name was visible below your comment and again when I checked your account details.

Thanks for what you add to the forum, it’s always informed and always interesting - a few honest and polite words from someone who doesn’t always agree with you on everything.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Anno Draconis, GER and 4th Cornet like this.
  7. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

It raised a smile with me and I don't think it was said with any malice, nor anonymously for that matter.

I can see why it might feel like a judgement and could be taken personally, but assure you it's just our British sense of humour and long may it continue.

2nd tenor and GER like this.
  8. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Glad to see my post intended to help pacify your hurt feelings helped :) (that's sarcasm by the way for the avoidance of doubt).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    2nd tenor likes this.
  9. jobriant

jobriant Member

Great band. Sadly, they disbanded in about 1972, and today most of the players (all Disney Studios employees) are no longer with us. I had the pleasure of sharing the stage with George Probert several times between 2009 and 2014. They're one of the few American "trad bands" who played "California, Here I Come," which I don't think I've heard at a Trad Jazz performance in more than 10 years.

10. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

@ Joe O’Briant. Noting his name on the first line this should have been visible below Anno Draconis’s post:

Andrew Baker
    Composer, Arranger and Conductor
    Morthanveld Publishing Ltd
    www.morthanveld.com
    [​IMG]

And you can read his profile page here complete with his name: http://www.themouthpiece.com/forum/members/anno-draconis.5551/

I would like to point out to you that the overwhelming majority of people who use this site do understand British humour and act accordingly. If you can’t relate well to the content here or feel the need to ‘speak’ harshly to well know and respected members then why not have a more able member of your band ask your questions here for you instead?

4th Cornet likes this.
  11. Anno Draconis

Having not logged in for a few days, it appears there's been some fuss in my absence. However since I can't see the original post apart from in a few quoted sections, I can't really respond in full - I don't know whether it was moderated or withdrawn - but I WILL say this: For the record, I was attempting to be humorous. As I'm not a professional comedian, sometimes these attempts fall flat, I entirely accept. However I take issue with the accusation that I am someone who is "too insecure or frightened to use their real names when posting online" when my name AND website is clearly stated under every post I make. I also take issue with the accusation that I am someone who "someone who wants the world to know he's smarter that everyone else", which is just being unnecessarily personal and nasty, to my mind. Even though I am quite smart. (<---Humour [British/Obscure/Unfunny]

Jim, if you want to have an offline chat my email address is andrew.baker@morthanveld.com - I'm happy to apologise in person for any perceived (albeit most certainly unintended) insult to your programming choices, ability as a director or anything else. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards, Andrew Baker

4th Cornet and 2nd tenor like this.
  12. jobriant

jobriant Member

First of all, Andrew, apology accepted without reservation.

Secondly, I must also apologize to you, for my reaction to your intended joke. I underwent extensive oral surgery on June 7. It's not an excuse, but it appears that due to the subsequent pain I was not at my best, and due to the pain medications my judgment was also not at its best.

And lastly, while your name appears in your most recent reply, your "signature file" still does not appear on either reply, at least on my screen. I don't think I've changed any settings to prevent the display of "signature files," so I can guess only that there's a glitch of some kind, somewhere in "The Mouthpiece" website.

After your website was pointed out to me in this discussion, I went there. Is it possible to hear audio files (either computer-generated files or "live" recordings) of your pieces?

And now, since I've just turned on my computer for the day (it's about 7:30 AM here in California), I must now follow its instruction and take two pain killers and an antibiotic.

-- Jim O'Briant

Slider1 likes this.
  13. Anno Draconis

Thank you - glad to have that cleared up!

In turn, apology gratefully accepted - you also have my sympathy, that sounds like no fun at all.

Interesting. Maybe it's browser dependent. Don't really know how the Xenforo software works - back in the day when it was vBulletin I'd sort of got my head round it, but I've never really got to grips with understanding the "new" version!

Ah. Umm... yes, eventually. Ironically I've made sure that the only two pieces on there that aren't mine have got recordings but my own have been somewhat neglected. It's what you might call a work-in-progress...

Very wise. I hope they do the trick, and thank you for a graceful resolution to our brief disagreement.

4th Cornet likes this.
  14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There was certainly a time when we Brits didn't 'get' Joplin. One of my most prized vinyl recordings features a top section London band playing 'The Entertainer' about 40 metronome marks too quickly while the kit percussionist makes matters worse by playing a swing rhythm throughout.

Of course, we're much more sophisticated now........I think.

Jim

15. jobriant

jobriant Member

16. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

You are quite right, I did misread the original post. I'm getting old....just ignore me!

Jim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice