Missing our MD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mesmerist, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Our MD is away for 5 weeks. :( It has been 3 weeks and almost straight away the attendance dropped and the standard and style of playing has changed. Do we get so used to the rehearsals of one person that his absence can have such an impact or is it just that the chemistry is right between a particular band and conductor and this is the magic ingredient for a happy successful team?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    style
    playing
    band
    team
    MD
  3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I consider it a lack of respect and committment for the band as a whole when players don't turn up just because there is a different conductor for a while.

4. Columbo

Columbo Member

I agree. It's no ta problem I have with my bands, but having experienced it in the past, I used to tell the band at the last minute or not at all! Sad when its like that though!

5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Maybe lack of respect but it all depends who is conducting. There have been occassions where our conductor cannot make rehearsal for work reasons and one of our players takes over. Not really up to the job but going there best which I appriciate because I cannot do it, however I think going to the rehearsal is pointless and a waste of time and better off being cancelled.

6. Columbo

Columbo Member

How Very Dare You! Cancel a rehearsal? I'll Nai hear of it!

7. StellaJohnson

cancell the rehearsal and go to the pub instead is much more worthwhile of my time (on this occassion!!)

8. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Cancel the rehearsal? Sounds like a slippery slope to me....I understand if the band are expecting the MD and they just don't turn up on the night. Also, I can understand why someone out of the band will get up and wag so that the band can at least have a blow - but surely this is the exception rather than the rule?

Most conductors would give the band as much notice as possible that they cannot attend - and even if that is only a couple of days then forums like TMP are perfect to put the shout out that a dep MD is needed. I've responded to such requests before and it's been fun to go in and conduct different players and music. Also, it's fun for the players to see a different style and approach.

In fact, there have been threads on this forum about players who want to get more MD experience and so eventualities like this would seem a great way to do this. Let's face it, if someone has the confidence and desire to respond to an unfamiliar band to take them for one or two rehearsals as a dep MD, then it is very likely they will have the right sort of personaility to do something useful in rehearsal.

9. Columbo

Columbo Member

Thats how I got Started. You never know, you might find a star in the making!

10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

At Foss Dyke we are incredibly lucky because even though our MD is a RAF player and is therefore on a 'jump? how high?' basis with his work sometimes, we have managed to secure the services of an associate MD who takes us through new and different pieces whilst Andy is away, which gives the band the opportunity to expand the repertoire for concerts. I think having and associate MD, if you can, is the best idea in such situations.

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hmm, tricky one. Might be that because the players know that the MD is away for a long period the concentration goes, etc.
    I quite like having a different MD in when ours is on holiday as you get different pieces, different ways of playing, etc. There's always a little bit of - not quite "familiarity breeds contempt" - more you get so used to the same person that you stop watching as much as you should, having someone different makes you sit up and take notice.
    Sounds it's the length of absence that's the problem here, not the absence itself. That said, it's no reason not to show the guy in the middle some respect, unless he/she is a complete idiot or nasty.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    style
    playing
    band
    team
    MD
  13. Mesmerist

I think its also because one conductor has been doing one rehearsal a week for a concert on saturday and Steve Sykes has started rehearsals on the National Test piece on the other so its dis-jointed. Steve is brilliant (but the piece is not).

14. StellaJohnson

Not at all to me, the point i'm making is in this situation the rehearsal isn't improving the bands performance on a piece, so I see little point in having a rehearsal in the first place. I haven't got a problem with replacement conductors. We had a conductor who at the time very recently took up conductoring who kindly agreed to help whilst our conductor was in hospital, had no problem with it because there was a point to his rehearsals - he kindly agreed to conduct for a concert and then a concert.

15. Mesmerist

Perhaps the question is - is it better to cancel a rehearsal rather than have a guest conductor who may undermine players confidence and affect the overall sound and style of a Band in a negative way? speaking personally I find when a rehearsal leaves me unhappy, slightly cross and fed up I find it difficult to motivate myself to practice. For me my playing seems to be emotional and I get too easily affected so would be better NOT coming when I know its not going to be a good one but loyalty forces me too. (I know - moody cow etc...)

16. StellaJohnson

yes Mesmerist maybe that should be the question:)
    We have had rehearsals with professional conductors and other conductors which have been benefical. I'm just putting another slant to the argument based on my experiences, which was in my opion better to cancal. Of course it is lack of disrespect and we all know what the answer should be and you have had the responce you wanted from other users. However is the answer you were after a little PC espeically for a internet forum???

17. Mesmerist

Stella. You can have no idea what response I wanted, pc or otherwise, as I have no idea myself. I have mixed views and no clear answer in my mind which is why I asked tmp posters their views.

And it is not a lack of disrespect to cancel prior to inviting someone in.

The worry for me is how quickly a band is affected when there is a change in the middle. This is why bands suddenly collapse or otherwise suddenly start becoming very successful. I seem to have answered myself. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  18. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Perhaps its the conductor who has come in to take the rehearsals? I agree that you can get used to an MD and when they have to go away, as I often do with work, its hard for the band to adjust.

Anyway, he'll be back next week!!

19. Mesmerist

Yes he is back at the weekend to conduct us at Moors Valley.
    You don`t fancy depping on 2nd trombone for us on thursday do you? Fishy is away for that one.

20. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

21. Mesmerist

Just read through this in view of the fact that we all got a letter telling us not to comment on the goings on in "social networking sites". Cannot see the problem. Freedom of speech not allowed then?

22. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Really?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009