Mis-quote of the year

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I should add that though an Arsenal supporter, (a) I'm not a Man U hater and (b) I'm well aware our own manager has opened his mouth before engaging brain on a number of occasions, but this gem, from Sir Alex Ferguson, referring to Roy Keane's stamp on the Porto goalkeeper Vitor Baia yesterday, really takes the biscuit...

"There was no malice in the incident, it is not Roy's style to do anything like that''.

Really? I wonder what a certain Mr Haaland makes of that statement.....
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

"argh my leg" ??
  3. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Gotta love them football managers! :D
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

To redress the balance, one of my favourite 'gems' from Arsene Wenger was when he complained about the Highbury pitch being too narrow (like, they're not used to it???? They complained about Wembley being too big when they played their Champions' League games there!)
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

High horse? Neigh, lad! (Gee.....) I don't wish to be saddled with that repuation, thank you. Got to 'hand' it to you, though SM, the 'mane' point you make is perfectly valid, but I already acknowledged Wenger's capacity to open his mouth before engaging his brain as well as (in a roundabout way) alluding to excuse no. 477!
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What happened to straightmute's contribution to this debate? I replied to it and it seems to have been removed! :?
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

And there was me thinking yet another gooner has lost the plot :twisted: :wink:
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, I have, but it still doesn't explain the disappearance of that post! ;-)

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Suppose it would make a change to losing the title :wink: :wink:
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Heh, heh! Funny thing is, Wenger stupidly proclaimed that Arsenal might be able to go through the season unbeaten last season. It'd be ironic if Arsenal went through this season's Premiership unbeaten, but still lost the title! (It's not beyond the realms of possibility! Arsenal could draw a few where the other two could pick up wins!)

Still, this current Arsenal side is well worth watching. Certainly in comparison to the pain of watching them at Highbury when George Graham was their manager....... jeez, that was torture.....
  11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Justice at last Monsewer Chunky. The battle of Highbury (which we were innocent of) has NOT been forgotten NOR will it ever be forgiven!

I dream of the day we pass them as we go up and they go down. Have I got long to wait?
  12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Have to agree with you there Dave. However GG was a top bloke. One Friday night I was slightly anebriated in a Norwich Hotel where the Arsenal side were staying the night before playing at Norwich.

Being drunk I decided to go and talk to him, and to his credit he was charming, polite and prepared to chat with some drunken lunatic (me that is not Adams or Merson). I wouldnt have spoken to me in that state :wink: :oops:

Always wondered though what was in the brown envelope he asked me to bung in the post!
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Sorry - I was busy writing about Arsene W*n*er's comments about pitches being too wide, only to find that you had done exactly the same. It's a good story but doesn't really bear so much repetition...

14. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

:D Read this and thought you'd finally been tipped over the edge Dave :D
  15. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Let's just say I wouldn't recommend holding your breath until it happens ;)
  16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Er...... I have...... blartch, wibble, frut escrup, wunge, sprykkle sprykkle and flange plittery.

And in that order.....;-)
  17. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Putting Sir AF and AW to one side, here's my favourite manager, Gordon Strachan, at his finest with dim-witted interviewers:

Strachan's finest interview moments:

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
    Strachan: No! I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "no, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless!"

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
    Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the
    Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?
    Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
    Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Reporter: Gordon, Austin Delgado?
    Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Austin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?
    Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
    Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump of a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
    Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
    Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
    Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.
  18. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

The Austin Delgado response is my personal favourite :)