Minor scales!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hello, can't seem to be able to learn my minor scales :evil:
    Does anyone know of a good way to learn all scales well???
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    scales
    anyone
    Thanks
    way
    Minor scales
  3. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Steer well clear of the melodics whenever possible :!:

Grade 8 all coming back to me again now.....................

4. leisa

leisa Active Member

scales..... bleurgh!!! :x :shock: :!: :!: :!:

ive discovered :idea: that if you take ur time before you play them and think about it properly until you think u'll get it perfect, then...they still go wrong!!

5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Alex,

If you can play the piano, or at least have an idea of where the notes are on a keyboard, then I think you will find the minor scales a lot easier.
    Just close your eyes and picture a keyboard and for the Harmonic Minors, just see the semitones coming between the 3rd and 4th degrees, 5th and 6th degrees and 7th and 8th.

For the melodic minors it is a simple case of the tonic major with a flattened 3rd ascending and according to the key signature descending.

ie: C Minor Harmonic:

C D Eb F G Ab B C

C Minor Melodic:

Ascending: C D Eb F G A B C

Descending: C Bb Ab G F Eb D C

Hope this helps in some way.

6. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I have found lots of practice, but think about the scale before launching in to play it. I also have the scales written out on little cards and rather than starting at the same point each time I practice I shuffle the cards and pick them at random until I have played them all. Mind I still get them wrong at times.

7. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i hate melodics... harmonic minors rule 8)

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

An easy way to remember the MELODIC minor.

Go up in the major with a flattened 3rd ...

i.e. F G Ab Bb C D E F

Then come down in it's relative minor ...

i.e. F Eb Db C Bb Ab G F

(Relative Major's Eb)
    Ben

9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I think you meant relative major was Ab Ben :oops:

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

Damn Computers! :D[/b]

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    scales
    anyone
    Thanks
    way
    Minor scales
  13. jafe

jafe Member

Whilst we are on the subject anyone got any idea on what and how to learn:

Dominant Seventh scales/arpeggios

and

Diminished Seventh scales/arpeggios

Cheers

14. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Thanks for all your help guys, its just now down to me to discipline myself into learning them all fluently.

15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Diminished are just built on Monir 3rds.
    ie: F Ab Cb Ebb (D) F

and there are only 3 diminished to learn, as after that they are all inversions.

Start on F, then on F#, then onto G, then you get to the G#/Ab, which is the first inversion of the example I first gave.

Simple really if you can manage to understand what I have typed. :lol: :roll:

16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Everyone (or most people) hates minor scales ... I can do all major ones ... but my minors could be better. Knowing the sound of a minor scale is useful though, since then you'll know if you're doing it right or not.

17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

just thought of doing a crabwise scale of melodic minors... it could be a while before I recover!

18. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

best way to learn scales- other than avoiding them (like I did for my grade 8 saxophone exam- check out Trinity syllabus)... is:
    write all scales on pieces of paper, fold 'em up and put them in a hat, or whatever... then pick out a scale, play it- if successful put it to one side, if not put it in the *in-need of learning* pile... Keep repeating til all learnt...

ta daaa

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

and watch as the in need of learning pile grows and grows!!!

20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Could somebody please explain to me what a scale is.

As a lowly BBb Bass player, I'm lucky to have more than a repetitive fourth throughout a piece. I hope to see an interval of a fifth, but alas I believe this to be wishful thinking. I hope Mr Sparke has given me something to think about in Kaleidoscope :idea:

On a serious note, it's easy to describe the rudiments of the scale. But not everyone has performed exams on their chosen instruments. I'm in agreement with Naruco, I always found that repetition was my usual way of obtaining the requisite level of skill required to thoroughly learn a scale.

IMHO if you have mastered C# major and F# minor, I bow to you :twisted: :grnsm

21. SammyT

SammyT Member

Is it just me or is there other people out there who have absolutley no idea what the above comments mean!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    I gave up grades (and hence them scalely things (yep that would be fish!!!)) after grade 5 - scary things :shock: :shock: :roll:

22. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I know the most obvious answer here is just keep playing them til it gets easier, but when I was doing grades I usually lost the will to live first!!
    I found the Arban exercises really helpful, much better than just repeating the scales over and over - especially for diminished and dominant sevenths. Good luck!!