Minidisc Recorders

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by sudcornet, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hiya, i'm looking for some equipment to record myself whilst practicing, that produces a recording that is good quality. Just to keep tabs on how i'm sounding, and also for any lessons that I have so that I can record it to go over what needs to be accomplished for next lesson etc.

I don't know much about mini disc players and microphones and recording and stuff so any help would be appreciated!!! Please!!!

There's lots of knowledge in this thread, but too much to take in!!!

Not really wanting to spend too much so could someone give me a selection of cheaper good quality minidisc recorders and mikes. Cheers.

2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Many of the current generation of hard disk MP3 players (not iPods) can also record too and have much greater capacity than MDs. I've got an iRiver H320 and it makes a really good job of recording from its line-in connection, though I haven't tried it with a microphone (yet).

There seem to be good reasons NOT to get a microphone that plugs straight into the unit, but is on wires as the direct ones tend to pick up the motor noise from the disk.

(Plus of course you it can take all your other music on it to listen to on the bus/at your desk, photos, other files you need to carry around as a bonus)

Neil.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Because of the new HD (Hard Disk) MD players launched in recent times by Sony, why not grab a bargain on eBay with the former top of the range MZ-N10 NetMD? I got one brand new, still sealed with full accessories for £62 in the last month or two. Superb recorder, ultra-small and light, and with a magnesium shell!

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-N10.html

eBay search link:-

http://search.ebay.co.uk/SONY-MZ-N10_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQfrppZ50QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQfltZ9QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

And if you are looking for a suitable high quality, but small, microphone to pick up every detail, try the SONY ECM-MS907. I originally paid £100 for this gem when MD portables first came on the market, but you could probably find this at a much more competitive price.

http://www.minidisco.com/ecm-ms907.html

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Unfortunately all minidisc recorders compress sound but this can be 'undone' to a decent level with the use of a decent sound editor like Sound Forge or Pro-Tools, either using the built-in uncompressor (normaliser) or by using a plugin by companies such as Waves. May as well add that you would have to transfer in real-time your recording to your hard-drive from the MD. I use a separate full-sized MD recorder to link up optically to my Audigy daughter board.

6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

So much to think about, cheers guys! ;)
    Could someone post/PM me a short list of all the stuff I need, there seems to be lots of bits and bobs? With examples of the products and costs etc, would help me enormously!!! I don't know where to look for these kind of things, apart from asking on tMP! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice