Miners Gala TMP Band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassyboy, Apr 8, 2007.

1. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

I am aware that the NUM are still looking for bands to support banners in the Miners Gala, Big Meet.

Having seen the thread about Whit Friday and a TMP band I thought hey why not suggest a band for the Gala!

I believe the NUM may be offering some small amount of support to bands attending. There are lots of County Durham Bands who would I am sure sure help you locate a place to have a nice cup of tea on the day ha ha!

There are lots of hotels and the students Halls of Residence are free then so how about a Mouthpiece Weekend get up to see Boban Markovic on the Friday night!

Maybe worth thinking about?

Date14th July
  2. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I'm amazed that there has been no response to this!

We do have a lot of tMP members and their bands taking part. So without stepping on their toes lets think about 'adopting a minnig community', and making them proud for the day.
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Apologies for not replying sooner, but the tMP Band are already committed to supporting Whit Friday, Easingwold and Pontins for this year, but will seriously consider the options for attending next years Gala.

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

There are a lot of struggling North East bands that would love any players to help them out, many of which can be contacted on here if you show an interest. It's an extremely long day of marching and I can't imagine any band will say they have too many players and turn you down.
  5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

we would certainly welcome any players who like to help out that day. we'll even help with expenses and provide accomodation for those who require it.
  6. youngblood

youngblood Member

Well done Murton! The Durham Miners Gala has been running for over 120 years with out a gap and I expect you (the band) have been there most of them.

It is the last of the Great Galas.

If your band has a mining past why not recoginise this and come along as its future is not assured.

This year I am pleased to say it gets extra support from the festival leading up to it.

For those who have not been to the Gala it is amazing and I think if you support it you will be pleased you did! Yes there is beer but there are also family activities and a family day out if you want it to be.

Lets not just keep our bands going but lets remember those that started them and keep the traditional events around them alive too!

Regardless of the politics this event is stunning and held in a stunning location.

I am sorry TMP will not be getting a band together for the Gala. This is not a critism of Mouthpiece which I enjoy being a part of and value the wonderful comments on and the effort of those that run it.

If TMP members want to support the Gala and get a together to support our traditions there will be lots to do.

If you are travelling any distance so why not stop over and make a short break or holiday of it!

To those that want to support Murton Thank you!

To any others that support Durham Bands thank you also, you will honestly become a part of a wonderful history!

Please help us keep this great event alive! It is all too easy to say it has always been there so it always will this is not the case it needs its supporters.

There are more banners than ever and every banner could do with its own band.

I would like to thank all those that have supported the event in the past you are special and talk with pride when you say "I played in the Miners Gala!"

I am sorry to have gone on a bit!

I just care about brass bands, brass music and the Miners Gala. The living memorial to the miners and their bands, to a way of life now gone it is a better than any pit wheel or engraved stone it is of the present and alive!

New Bands will I am sure always be welcome!

7. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

who do you contact about your band playing at the meeting?
  8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Having done it myself when I was involved with the team I can say that alot of work goes into organising tMP scratch band events. The team is already organising a number of events and, as vounteers, there is only so much they can do. I know you were not critising but just thought I would point it out :tup. I am sure the team would be happy for you to advertise organising your own scratch band which, although is not an official tMP band, would have many tMP user volunteeers I am sure.
  9. youngblood

youngblood Member

Who to contact for the Miners Gala

In reply top the above question

George Robson of the Durham NUM books the bands in and I know he has started tho do so already. This year there are many new banners looking for bands so I expect he he will be delighted to hear from you!

I don't have his contact number but if you are a band interested in attending the Gala I know that the BRASS Festival team have his details as they are supporting the Miners Gala.

You can get there details from the BRASS website www.brassfestival.co.uk I am sure they will either pass your details onto George or give you his details.

The Gala is a great event, you will love it!

Note: Players and bands from Abroad

Also to any TMP members and bands not from the UK I know you are also welcome to join in and be part of over 120 years of brass playing history and to play alongside or with with some great UK bands.

10. youngblood

youngblood Member

Excuse Hipos in above! Ooops I mean Typos!

I would love to bring together a scratch band but I have to hold down two jobs at the moment so I don't even have the time to play in a band myself untill I can afford to give a job up! That's why Mouthpiece is so valuable to me as it keeps me in touch with the band world till I can return to it once more.

I still do believe it would be great to have a scratch band set up for the Gala! I think it would be a great way to promote TMP, support The Gala and also BRASS all things I feel are important to and for the Brass band world.

Maybe a simple way is if we could have a sticky thread for those interested to place their names on and any band playing at the Gala that is short of a player can contact them. Likewise bands could notify on the same thread of gaps to be filled this I am sure would be a great help.

On the same thread bands attending could let us know just so we can see who will be there (there were over thirty bands last year).

Does any of the above make sense what do you think!