Milton Keynes Own Choice Contest - 30 November 2014

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by jezza23361, Jul 14, 2014.

1. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

Hello

You may know already but I am planning a new contest in Stantonbury Theatre, Milton Keynes on 30 November 2014

The idea of the day is to give bands a local contest to prepare for in a quiet contesting time of year. It is to be run on a non-profit making basis. I have had the offer of a sponsor for some trophies but details are not yet finalised.

It will be a 'no registration' contest and will be pre-drawn. There will be two adjudicators for each section if entries and funds permit.

The format is to be:

Section B - own choice test piece.

Section A - opener, solo and own choice test piece - suggested time limit 25 mins.

There will not be a raft of petty rules but bands will be 25 brass players of conventional brass band instruments and percussion as required. Bands will be provided with 30 wristbands which will give access to the contest and a seat in the audience at no extra cost. This is an attempt to increase the size of the audience to give the bands a more rewarding performance experience. Tickets for the general public will be very reasonably priced too for the same reason. It is no fun to play to an empty hall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Entry forms available from jeremy23361@yahoo.co.uk

Jeremy Wise

2. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Interesting format! Be nice to see it adopted at one of the Welsh League contests. :)

3. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Member

Just got back from this contest. A really relaxed, friendly atmosphere, no messing around with registration cards (that is, no standing in lines to be scrutinised by 'Officials'), just turn up, warm up, play and go listen to others.

Nice venue too...good to see it being used for BB contests again.

Big shout out to Jeremy Wise for organising such a good event.

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes certainly was a very relaxed contest.

Positives -

• 30 mins in a separate building rehearsal room. short walk to theatre, arrived as band before us was playing - 15 mins wait backstage and on.
    • Nice cafe and food facilities in leisure centre
    • decent parking
    • Short and concise comments from adjudicators

Negatives - a few more stewards or signs for virgin bands but once a runner had susssed out what was what and where, all fine.

Jeremy did mention that he'd sent out lots of information about the event via email etc but it all makes more sense when you are actually there on the day.
    A 2 hour trip for us but looks like some other bands traveled further.

5. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Very enjoyable day out (a good result always helps too !!) . As noted above , a relaxed approach to the day. From what I could see no one took the mick in regards to the no registration aspect , all ran to time and hanging about was minimal compared to many I've done.
    Nice drop of bottled EPA available in the bar as well , which was nice !! :)
    Good work Mr Wise , hope it will be the first of many !

6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

As above. How refereshing to take part in such an event and no real stress for the Contest Sec!

7. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

As above - relaxed event, no registration meant faster turnaround of bands and I didn't see any bands abuse the relaxation of registration by shipping in deps to play principal positions etc. Good facilities, good trade stands, nice theatre to play in and format - all in all - a well run contest with minimal bureaucracy and the focus was on amateur music making

8. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Great day out but for me and quite a few other audience members Staines should have come (much) higher, but hey ho - that's contests.

9. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I have always contended that this would be the case - good to see some evidence of that view.

10. markh

markh Member

Good day out with no faffing for registration

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=HelveticaNeue
    FONT=georgia
    Milton Keynes Own Choice Contest
    FONT
    SIZE