Milk!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack the Baritone King, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I felt the need to add this thread after a Dyl mentioned it due to a very interesting discussion about Milk in the 'New Baritone' thread.

Croftons MD Malcolm Simpson MBE told me that to blow a new instrument in, you need to fill it with milk. This will warmth the tone and also get the valves and slides working properly.

Have you heared of this theory before?? I haven't actually tried it so I was just wandering if anybody else has.

Love you all,
    Jack (the milk man)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Malcolm Simpson MBE
    Croftons
    Dyl
    Jack
    New Baritone
  3. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Have taken to drinking malibu with milk but I wouldn't advise it for bathing an instrument in ;-)

4. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Add a bit of strawberry puree and you get a free milkshake when you're playing your first hymn at band rehearsal!

5. Ah I can see that nobody's taking me very seriously haha

I like the milkshake idea but if Malc says something he's usually pretty close to the point with it!!

6. Robhibberd29

Sounds like the bloke sat on 1st horn in front of me last night

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sounds like a load of <spherical objects> to me.

Have you ever smelt rancid milk? The only way to be sure that no remnants of the milk remained in the instrument, trapped in various nooks and crannies to go sour and putrid, would be to so thoroughly dis-assemble the instrument and clean it (using serious degreasing agents) that the instrument would be left possibly even cleaner than it was when it left the factory, and any alleged benefits would be rendered ineffective.

Personally, if I were spending several hundreds/thousands of £'s on a new instrument, I would be extremely wary of putting anything in it ...

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts exactly!

9. Robhibberd29

Sounds like someone's pulling someone's something to me!

10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Hmmm, never heard that one before! Even drinking milk from a pewter jug leaves a nasty smell/taste, god knows what it'd do to an instrument!

11. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Got milk?

For those of you who don't know, Dave Werden is one of the premier Amercian euphoniumists. He was euphonium soloist with the US Coast Guard Band for 26 years. In 1980, he was named Euphonium Player of the Year by Sounding Brass: the first American so honoured. Currently, he teaches euphonium and tuba at the Univ. of Minnesota.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Malcolm Simpson MBE
    Croftons
    Dyl
    Jack
    New Baritone
  13. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I've heard this before but wouldn't dare try it.

Probably an urban legend but when I was growing up one old fella told me that a band going to the Finals at the Albert Hall had a bus crash and nearly all the instruments were damaged beyond repair (yeah I know what you're thinking) and they had to go the factory (presumably in Edgware) and get new ones (all in the space of a day or so) and they had to pour milk into all of the instruments so that the tone quality would be good and they had a 'film coating' on.

I'll get my coat.

14. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Nice article. I see that he isn't actually saying he has tried it himself though, or even that he is recommending it. I'm not convinced it a good idea. Surely the best way to break in any new instrument is to play it lots and maintain it properly :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  15. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

I know someone who tried it......what an awfull smell.

16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

If I remember correctly Malcolm has a wicked sense of humour!!
    He could very well have stitched you up like the proverbial kipper :biggrin:

17. Ah yes, you must know Malc quite well then hehe. There is the possibility that he was pulling my leg...I mean I did miss pitch a middle G at the start of last years test piece for the areas but he did appear to be quite serious.

I can understand the smell point of view, if there was any milk left in the instrument then it would be taking 'Im forever blowing bubbles' to a new level :biggrin: has anybody actually tried it yet??

18. huggie

huggie Member

I've heard of this before but never tried it, our librerian swears here father used to pour a pint of milk through his instrument every month. Yuk!

19. Cheers for your imput atleast I dont feel like a weiredo now. Well if its good enough for him then why is such an underestimated method??

Cheers:clap:

20. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

You'd probably get a nick-name like 'The Milkman' if you actually carried it out.

I personally wouldn't do it, just imagine, and residues would turn to cheese!

21. Shell

Shell Member

If you really want to find out..get an old instrument that no one cares about and try it out. That way, if it has any really bad affects it won't matter!

22. The Milkman, I like it!!!

Then I'd have no worries about milking my solo, do you get it, oh well never mind!!

Well I've blown my baritone in now (seen as I've had it over a year) so I don't need to try it but maybe it would be usefull for someone to spend about a grand+ on a new instrument and then they can try it. Atleast if it doesn't work we would find the answer to this thread!!! Any offers?