Mike Finn Tuba Mouthpieces-English Dealer

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by AndyCat, Jul 23, 2005.

1. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

To all you Tubists!

Just to let you know that The Music Cellar in Preston has just started stocking the full range of Mike Finn Tuba mouthpieces.

These mouthpieces are becoming more popular World wide, and it's great to have a dealer where you can go and try them without any obligation or the risk of Internet shopping on a mouthpiece you've never tried!

Mike is also developing a range of component Euphonium and trombone mouthpieces that they will stock when available.

If you're interested either check the links below, pm or email me, or check Mike's website.

If anyone wants to visit the Music Cellar, it's quite local to me and I'd be happy to come with you for a second pair of ears!

There's also a spreadsheet of Tuba mouthpiece comparison sizes (as many as I can get hold of) on my website (see link below) that anyone's free to peruse and get a feel for cup diameters, rim sizes et al compared to your current mouthpiece.

As info, I neither work for the Music Cellar, or Mike Finn, but do use the mouthpieces and find them excellent.

Mike Finn mouthpieces at the Music Cellar

My Mouthpiece Chart

Mike Finn Mouthpieces

Ta for your time!

Andy Cattanach

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mike Finn Tuba Mouthpieces
    Mike Finn Tuba
    English
    The Music Cellar
    www.mikefinnmouthpieces.com
  3. tubachris

tubachris New Member

hi there, where it says playing experience on your profile, it says hover, do you meen hoover brass band/ bolton brass band??? as i used to play BBb bass for them myself, i now am awaiting confermation of an audition for stockport brass, do you know of anybody who can perhaps talk to the chairman of stockport brass, formerly BT Band, and get him to contact me???

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Andy, what a HUGE range of mouthpieces Mike's got now. Saying that someone bought the equivalent MF to his/her current one, what would be the most significant difference that would be felt and heard?

5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Ooo what a question!

For me, I plumped for them initially as they are REALLY comfortable to use.

I use a MF3 on BBb, or a MF5 for high Orchestra stuff, and have a MF4 that works fantastically on my old Imperial EEb.

The core of sound is great, and notes slot quite well, and tuning is an improvement on the last few mouthpieces I've had.

But that's only my opinion!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm using a Giddings & Webster Matanuska Stainless Steel mouthpiece at the moment whilst getting my lip back in (and will use it at the areas). Notes slot very well on both my Maestro and the band's Sovereign and sound is sound is clean over all registers but still allowing dynamic flexability. I prefer this mouthpiece over other similar designs such as Perantucci and wonder if the MF ones are in the same family grouping?

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yes, similar. There's certainly a lot of metal in them!

The Music Cellar has just got the trombone/euphonium set in as well, a screw rim/cup/backbore combination. No good me trying that though, wouldn't be able to pass an hones t opinion on one so small!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I will have to explore the MF option given time & space ... one hard to find mouthpiece that might interest you is one I bought from Steve Sykes on eBay ... the Marcinkiewicz tuba (Bill) Rose model, designed for the modded St. Petersburg 202N tuba and distributed by the U.S. based Tuba Exchange. On the BBb, it seems to open out the sound without the harshness when pushing loads of air through. Lots of offers for me to sell it but I'm keeping my mits on it in the mean time. Tried it?

9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

What does that one compare to in size/model to others? You may need to give me a shot of that one then Tom!

Great to see you back playing for the Areas, Broxburn and Livi is it?

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Definitely a classy mouthpiece Willie. Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces tend to be built lightly but this one allows good sound projection once mastered. One of the biggest mouthpieces in my collection (I think the Yahama Jim Self MPC is a beast though!). I'll bring it along to the Areas.

I was asked to help out a week or two ago but haven't really practised since my major dental work last year (I had to drop out of Isaiah 40 after teeth loosening and probs afterwards). Since my mate Billy Downie is back helping and my old teen band Broxburn still needed an EEb, I thought I would join in. Dental work has been successful and since James Cook is bass driven anyway, it would be nice to have a blow. I don't rate Rothes Hall for the Scottish though. Acoustics will play havoc with bands.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Andy as MF mouthpieces are very highly rated and I will promise to look at them ASAP, but here is a quick comparison of a DW1L vs. Marcinkiewicz Rose vs. GW Matanuska ...

[​IMG]

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mike Finn Tuba Mouthpieces
    Mike Finn Tuba
    English
    The Music Cellar
    www.mikefinnmouthpieces.com
  13. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Am on a PT88+ at the moment after using a VB7, quite like it and seems to do the job (I think!), but always curious how other mouthpieces would fair, but its not the cheapest way to find out tho! Andys been recommending these Mike Finn's for a while now, mite start saving for a MF3 sometime!

Dont know much about the Hall in Glenrothes Tom, Id imagine it might catch a few out maybe, being a new venue to the normal 2 or 3 places! Jim Smith was telling me at the wkend its abit similar to the Regal Theatre in Bathgate? We'll see what its like come contest day! Should be good getting it in Perth for 2009 tho!

Anyway back to Micky Finns....!!!

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and definitely last comparison shots of rim/cup/throat :redface:

[​IMG]
    DW1 /Marcinkiewicz /GW

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- aye! Do the MF tuba mouthpieces come with the option of screw-rims, cups and shanks?

16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Take a look at Mike's site! Screw rims are a bit more, but yes that is an option (and even a Delrin rim for those with metal allergies).

On my side of the pond, I have sold many a Mike Finn mouthpiece. Trombone pieces are new, but also very nice.

Not sure if you would have to special order it or not from the UK with a screw rim setup.

Jim

17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No Chris, the "hover" means that you need to hover over the text with your mouse cursor, to see a member's playing experience... ;)

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- to be totally feasible I would have to look at all the various combinations and try them out (therefore screw-in combos seem the way to go!). Tuba mouthpieces is an expensive hobby to muck about with and can alter sound and projection in a major way that can affect section work.

19. vjarjadian

vjarjadian New Member

Maybe someone could compare them to the new Denis Wick tuba mouthpieces,

they are based on the heritage trombone range.

and maybe a 1XL which is their supposedly most 'powerful' mouthpiece.

20. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

I have played on a DW 2XL for a year and abit on both Eb and BBb, love it, really get on with it. mine was abit battered so I thought I would try one of the new shape ones, and it was brilliant for about 3 weeks then I started to be able to rip the instrument to shreds without any effort, put it down straight away and went back to my old shape 2XL and also been trying out a tucci p84 i think it is off the top of my head same sort of size as the 2XL and thats great too, just in totally different ways.

In my opinion the new shape pieces are not very good at all, but hey everyone is different!