Mike Fairhurst - founder of Ringmer School Band

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by andywooler, Jun 10, 2009.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I am sad to report the death of Mike Fairhurst on Monday following a long battle with ill health.

Mike was one of the most influential teachers in East Sussex during the 70's and was responsible for many of the talented players who later went on to join The Uckfield Band (now Uckfield Concert Brass) & Glynde & Beddingham band (now LGB Brass).
    Mike was also a one time MD of The Uckfield Band.
    The Ringmer School Band which Mike founded was THE premier Youth band in our area in its day - I wasn't a member and recall my own band only ever beating them once in contest. Had I have been, I would have met my wife a few years earlier as she was one of Mike's pupils.

I will add funeral details once known.

2. rikster

rikster New Member

This is very sad news indeed Andy, Thank you for sharing.

3. andywooler

Following a private cremation, there will be a memorial service at East Hoathly Church, Thursday 2nd July at 2.00pm.

4. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

My condolences to the family.

5. Pam Mason

Pam Mason Guest

What a shame...He was my teacher from 69-74.

Mike was my music teacher from 1969-1974.
    Ringmer School had a fine band.

I played cornet in the brass band, (and french horn,flugelhorn and ripeano) and clarinet in the wind band.
    He was a fine teacher and his love of music was infectious....

We all went to Finland on a school band swap,and the Finish band came over here.

I am SO sad to hear this news.....

6. andywooler

It was a lovely service this afternoon with a lot of ex Ringmer Band players in attendance. Mike also taught at the local village school and pupils in uniform lined the path to the church - a lovely gesture. As Mike was also the organist at the church, it was fitting that it was played on this occasion by a former pupil of his, Roger Roser.
    A memorial concert is being put together - if you are an ex-member who couldn't make it today but would like to be involved in that event (prov. October I believe), then please PM me and I'll pass it on to the organiser.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi

hi pam remember me chris barley shame about mr f he was a dam good teacher

8. andywooler