Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Mar 2, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Does anyone else suffer from these? I've got an absolute bone-cruncher at the moment. Pain comes and goes, but side effects include swaying, slurring, visual disturbance and general feeling of crappiness.
    Does aything make the wretched things go away?
    No, really officer, I'm not drunk I just have a migraine...
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Immigran! :)
  3. bigmamabadger

Prescription, over-the-counter or dodgy website?
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

5. bigmamabadger

Might see if my lovely doctor will give me some of those. Fed up of crawling around like a wingless fly.
    Feel as if my brains are being forced down my nose and my right eye is watering. Going off to get a warm bath with lavender in and then take some Co-codamol to see if I can shift the ******. They hang around for days.
    Night night.
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Awww, nighty night BMB. Hope you feels better soon. :(
  7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Yes! I have 2 or 3 nasty ones a year. I have to take a migraine tablet and disappear for a day! Wouldn't be able to go on computor with the migraines I have. Hope yours clears soon, they're one of the worst things I have ever experienced (other than childbirth lol).
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Ask your doctor to prescribe some beta-blockers. They can help reduce the frequency / severity of the migraine. Or so it says in the leaflet in my packet anyway! I don't take them for migraine, but I haven't had one since I have been prescribed them....
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Suffered from them for a few years now but there getting less frequent lately (touch wood).

Starts off with an out of body feeling and horrible patchy vision, and then eventually after about an hour all that goes away and within 15 minutes the bone cruncher of a headache has kicked in. I find the best remedy is to take as strong a pain killer as you can get your hands on as soon as the symptoms start and then get laid down somewhere cool and dark and get your eyes shut.

I used to carry migrelieve around but they're pricey and don't carry em so much now because i don't get the headache's as often. Anadin Extra are are good if you don't have anything else to hand.
  10. Ellie

Ellie Member

i have some beta blockers to try and prevent them but on the occasions i do get them my GP has given me Codeine and paracetamol, and then i have to lie in dark room and sleep,

I've found that the Nurofen Migraine are pretty good.

I get flashy lights at the side of my vision and the edges get kind of swirly but the centre of my vision stays fine! If I take the migraine tablets straight away then I can usually head it off, but if not once the vision clears the headache hits big style! Then the only solution is sleep!
  12. NeilW

NeilW Member

The British Migrane Association has lots of current info. If you can't google them, let me know and I'll dig out contact details.

If I've got the right drug, Immigran is for "Classical migrane" (there are a number of different types...) and it either works or it doesn't. As it rather expensive(!) the NHS is reluctant to try it for everyone, so you have to be getting them pretty often before they'll prescribe. [but as I say, I may have got the wrong drug - its a Glaxo drug I'm thinking of...]

Migrane can be cause by reaction to foods: my wife WILL have a migrane 1 to 2 days after eating cheese... The BMA carries info on that too...

Some people claim that Feverfew (tablets) can help.

Hope you feel better soon..

13. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Don't know about a cure, but watching your diet might be good for migraine prevention. I've had some nasty migraines over the last couple of years but couldn't identify the "trigger". I've been eating healthy since christmas (lost over a stone so far!) and not even had a twinge of a migraine. It might be a coincidence but I'm guessing that something in the **** I've been eating for the last few years was the cause.
  14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

But even some "healthy" foods can be migraine triggers. My wife used to get migraines every time she went on a diet - we finally discovered that the romaine lettuce she was using in salads was the trigger. Even one leaf was enough to kick one off.

Interestingly, since she underwent gastric bypass surgery last year (and dropped 135 pounds so far), she hasn't had a migraine. Makes us think weight might be a factor.
  15. bigmamabadger

The only trigger I've found so far is red wine. And we will take the usual jokes as read thank you. Stress and tiredness is a big problem, but sometimes they just come out of the blue.
    I can feel them coming on although I don't realise until afterwards. I get very weepy and pathetic for about 24 hours beforehand. Not a black depression, just very very sad. Everything makes me cry. People being nice to me, people being horrible to me, fluffy kittens, babies, everything. I also get somewhat incoherent and uncoordinated for the duration... how can anyone tell?
    It's supposed to be a similar affliction to epilepsy although apparently you never have both diseases.
    Is easing off at the moment painwise but I know it's still lurking in the background.
  16. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I'm with you on this one. Ive had one for the last 3 days. it feels like there is someone inside my head banging, trying to get out.
    vision is blurred much like when im extremely drunk, but i can say in all honesty ive not touched a drop.
    No tablet seems to have an effect on mine, only thing i can do is try and sleep it off, which usually works but as ive had it for 3 days now its obviously not working. :(
  17. bigmamabadger

Painkillers don't work because it's not just pain that's going on. Migraine isn't fully understood but it is a very different thing to just a headache. Other electrical and chemical things are going on in the head. I can keep going through a headache, but if it develops into a migraine then I'm in trouble.
    Can't take beta blockers if you're asthmatic, have already investigated that avenue, although for other reasons.
  18. Heather

Heather Member

I know exactly what you're talking about with your migraines. I tend to have a few years without and then they come back with a vengeance..sometimes I get 3 a day. the visual disturbances are horrid as are the headache. I also feel weirdly spaced out just before i start with one and then afterwards I usually get pins and needles in one finger at a time and start to talk gobbledegook (although I'm told I do that anyway!!!).
    i went to my docs and he prescribed me some great tablets that you take as soon as you feel one coming on...they are fantastic and definately work. Unfortunately I can't remember the name but I will find out for you on monday and let you know.
  19. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

When I get one now and then, the frequency seems to be linked to my diet and hydration as I've noticed over the years. Typically because I've "O.D.'d" on one of the triggers (caffeine, sugar, or nicotine) and my body is simply trying to compensate. I get the typical symptoms, but the really 'good' ones tend to mess up my stomach as well - so eating or drinking anything to help is futile, is it might make a comeback, if you know what I mean. I find that the usual remedies help (cool, dark, sleep, etc...) but not unless I've taken something to speed up the process.

In my experience in dealing with them, it seems to me that thinning the blood and getting things moving again is the best course of action. Lately I've been taking Excedrin Migraine (don't know if you have that on your side of the pond or not) and it usually does the trick within 30 minutes. It's main ingredients are aspirin, acedominiphen, and caffeine. The aspirin thins the blood, the acedominiphen a pain killer, and the caffeine helps open the constricted blood vessels. I can usually get by with just aspirin, but the Excedrin Migraine takes no prisoners in a hurry.

Good luck.
  20. bigmamabadger

Mine seem to come in phases. I don't get one for months on end, then I get them every day for weeks. Don't know if the doc will prescribe anything on that basis. Have heard of Excedrin but pretty sure I've not come across it over here. Will see what I can find.
    Felt OK this morning and drove up to Ingleton in the snow (such fun and so pretty) but driving back down the M6 with the sun in my eyes has set it off again. Stupid badger...
    Had a date tonight with Nanny Ogg and Mr Nanny Ogg, a bottle of wine and DVD of the Wicker Man but have decided not to risk it as would be complete wreck tomorrow and may have to sell LittleBabyBadger.