Midsummer Eve - Drake Rimmer

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cockaigne, Dec 8, 2012.

1. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Whilst searching for something else entirely, I came across this title. Just wondering if anyone knows the piece at all, as there's no PDF preview on Just Music's website.

Sounds like it could either be a little gem/golden oldie, or forgotten for a good reason... Is anyone able to shed more light on this?

HERITAGE Member

I can't tell you anything about this Tone Poem other than its was a lower section Test Piece in the mid 1950s. However I do see that Sussex Brass have it in their Music Library listed in the Admin Section of their website here:

Perhaps they can help you?
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Suspect you've been here already, to see where it's been used: http://brassbandresults.co.uk/pieces/midsummer-eve/

Looks like it was pretty unpopular (although I'm sure we won't have every listing for it yet)! As a general comment, what I've seen of Drake Rimmer's writing has tended to age badly, to the extent that we rarely see his works performed these days.
  4. scraig

scraig Member

Here at Tullis Russell we have many manuscript originals which were written by Drake Rimmer as he spent many years conducting the Tullis Russell Mills Band, with 4 band hall moves in the last 25 years and much clearing out not holding out much hope of finding this piece but we do have a lot of archive boxes in the bowels of our new band hall and if I get a few hours where I am at a loose end I will have a look and see if I can find the piece as Drake would often put notes about the piece on his manuscripts.

Steven Craig