midlands championship sect results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by stephen2001, Mar 2, 2003.

1. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

1. Desford Colliery, P. Parkes, 3, 192
    2. Ransome Band, B. Grant, 10, 190

3. Newstead Welfare, D. Beckley, 4, 189
    4. Woolley Pritchard Brass, S. Cooper, 6, 188
    6. Staffordshire Band, D. Maplestone, 5, 187
    5. Thoresby Colliery (UK Coal), S. Lippeatt, 7, 186
    7. Glossop Old, J. Cant, 11, 185
    8. Ratby Co-operative, K. J. Steward, 12, 184
    9. Jaguar (Coventry), D. Lea, 8, 183
    10. City of Coventry Brass, P. Bailey, 9, 182
    11. Travelsphere Holidays, R. Gray, 1, 181
    12. Jackfield Elcock Reisen, C. Lewis, 2, 180

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    P. Parkes
    B. Grant
    D. Maplestone
    D. Beckley
    S. Cooper
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

How do only 2 qualify out of 12, and 3 of 15, surely thats unfair for Newstead Welfare. :D Does anyone know how they work it out?

4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Well done to the bands that competed today in the top section - A baptism of fire for our band - but we enjoyed ourselves!

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Congratulations for today Simon - You gave an excellent performance of a very difficult test piece and you certainly did yourselves proud.
    It was nice to all meet up again and support each others performances.
    See you all again soon.

PS: Do you still sing "Sit on my . . . . . " in Registration? :lol: :lol:

6. Boneman

Boneman Member

Thanks for the comments Roger, and thanks very much for the support - it was really good to Wem and Jackfield supporting each other.

Yes we did sing 'Sit on my . . . ' in registration, some things never change whatever section you are in! we actually sung itl over the road in the Conservative club - Quite sureal singing this with a big picture of Maggie looking down on us!

7. Di B

Di B Member

I spoke with our secretary about this at band last night as I thought only two fourth section bands would qualify for the Nationals, not three.

Apparently, if there are more than 17 bands entering that section then there are three places up for grabs. This includes all bands that withdraw.

So, if your section had 17 bands in and 14 withdrew and 3 played all three would go to the finals. I think thats how it works anyway!

Was pleasantly surprised to see Newstead do well again this year - congrats to Duncan! :D

8. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Some surprise results here but I haven't heard any complaints. Did Mr Sykes give any justification for his results - did he say what he was looking for on the day?

D

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

How did Travelsphere come second to last????!!!???!!?? :shock:

10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

it would be quite interesting to know what uncle Steve ( not really :wink: ) was looking for seeing that he is judging our area.

11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I am not aware of Steve Sykes saying anything publically before the contest as he went into "The Box" as soon as Roy Roe left it after the 3rd Section.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    P. Parkes
    B. Grant
    D. Maplestone
    D. Beckley
    S. Cooper
  13. Boneman

Boneman Member

Steve Sykes did have some comments to make after the contest, he made it fairly clear he wasn't in favour of the piece as a test piece he described it as

"fine for radio 3 but . . "

He also quipped that there had been a further errata - in the title you have to replace the 'r' with an 'l'!

He also said the piece was a great 'leveller' - and I think the results of the various areas have shown this.

As for what he was looking for, he did say that it was a difficult piece to adjudicate, so he went for the bands that played a tight performance - he didn't seem too pre occupied with dynamics or tempi - In fairness his comments on our performance were fairly accurate (still a shame to come last though!)

14. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Doesnt sound like hes a fan.
    It will be interesing to hear what he says after our area.

15. Heather

Heather Member

I wouldn't fancy playing Prague in your area then if you've got the same adjudicator!!!!!!!!!
    It doesn't exactly instill you with confidence in the result does it??

16. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

We will see. The band is playing well as always. we just have to rely on the man in the middle for the right interpritation

17. Heather

Heather Member

Good Luck anyway!!!

18. Boneman

Boneman Member

They have a bit more on Steve Sykes thought on the test piece in the review of the top section of the midlands area on www.4barsrest.com

19. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Thanks will take a look