Midlands Area

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cherrybassett, Sep 21, 2004.

1. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Does anyone know when the Midlands Area Contest is yet and where it is going to be held.
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

5/6 and 12/13 March in Buxton I assume.

I have'nt heard any rumours of them changeing venue (more's the pity!) so I assume the split over 2 weekends will continue.

Not a very satisfactory arrangement IMHO
  3. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Buxton?! Do you mean Burton? In the Town Hall? I know, it's not the best venue. The lack of places to go is the worst thing about it.
  4. stevetrom

Sorry typign is not my best skill
  5. stevetrom

The Town Hall is at least a step up from the Working Mens Club they used for a couply of years !

Are there any other venues in the area (its big enough !) that would be better and not too expensive
  6. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

lol very true!
    I dunno, we seem to be lacking obvious places for contests such as the areas. I thought that the place in Nottingham where it was in 1998 was a pretty good place from what i can remember (was my first contest!) I think the hall was a lecture hall with seating going up and the band playing in the bottom. The actual place was quite nice too (from what i remember!)
  7. stevetrom

Was it Nottingham Uni ?

If i remember correctly one of the rooms used had a flat low ceiling which was'nt great
  8. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Nooooo...dont go back there - you must be the only bandsman I've found who ever liked the place!

Places with facilities can be difficult to find. Obvious one that springs to mind would be the ICC in brum (not necessarily symphony hall)- but cost would be an issue
    Lots of other town hall type places around...Nottingham has some good venues, Walsall Town Hall is not bad?
  9. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Nottinham uni would be too expensive now anyway, but there are two concert halls next to each other.
  10. What about the Adrian Boult Hall in the Birmingham Conservatoire. The Conservatoire also has a fairly decent 'Recital' Hall that would be okay and plenty of warm-up/rehearsal space. No idea on costs though.

Other options in the Midlands could be Warwick University or Bedworth Town Hall.

Burton Town Hall serves a purpose but the lack of facilities for the listener and cramped conditions does not make it the most inviting of venues. I'm sure there must be somewhere better where all the sections can be together.

However, please, don't mention or return to Nottingham Uni, a health and safety disaster waiting to happen !!!!!
  11. davidsait

davidsait Member

Yes, I'd heartly recommend using Warwick Arts Centre as a venue (based on the campus of the University of Warwick) - it has excellent facilities indeed!

I did speak to the Midlands Secretary the other day, and he said that the reason that the area dates haven't been confirmed yet is that the committee were investigating alternative venues. However, the details are at the moment provisionally the 1st section on Saturday 5th March & the 3rd section on Sunday 6th March, at Burton Town Hall.
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

I seem to remember that the East Midlands Conference Centre was used in the early 90s - seemed a decent enough venue and easy to find. Perfect for me, seeing as I live like 5 minutes away - Warwick = too far! :D
  13. Ok - I give in. I didn't stay retired for long! (5 months!) Now thoroughly enjoying banding again in a 4th section band having fun & making friends. We haven't contested for quite a while but fully intend taking part in next year's Area Contest. However, it really is a problem not knowing the date yet - if you work shifts (as I do) you need to put in for a day's holiday as soon as possible. I would be really disappointed to be sitting in an office when my band are "going for it"!
  14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I agree with those saying you should hold the midland regionals in the Warwick Arts Centre. For one thing, it's a brilliant venue, and for another, it's about 5 minutes walk from where I'll be living!! :)
  15. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

That's the Uni of Nottingham, I think a lot of people don't like it! :-(
  16. strongbow

strongbow Member

:clap: Buxton gets my vote, it has numerous halls/bars and could possibly get all the sections done on one weekend. It is also surrounded by places for non-banding people to visit. However, I do appeciate that it is a long way for the majority of Midlands bands to travel to:cry:
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Burton Town Hall
    Saturday5th March (1st)
    Sunday 6th(3rd&CHAMP)
    Saturday 12th (2nd)
    Sunday 13th (4th)
    To be honest i would like to see it moved BACK TO :DE MONTFORD HALL LEICESTER what a topjolly place to play in or Royal Concert Hall Nottingham 2 Halls could be used at Nottingham with the ALBERT HALL JUST ROUND THE CORNER.
    And last but not least:Assembley Rooms DERBY.
    Can anyone suggest anywhere else to beat these venues?
    I have played at them all over the years but would give THE ROYAL CONCERT HALL NOTTINGHAM the vote-
    Fair enough it would be expensive but us BANDSMEN/WOMEN want comfort.
  18. solo_euph

solo_euph Member

It is now the Milands Area not North Midlands and Warwick art center is in Coventry so central for us all to get to. Or should we go to Skegness so that the Lincolnshire Bands dont have to far to travel or Chapel-en-le-Frith for bands in the High Peak but then we must think about are Shropshire band so it might be Telford or even Kettering fot the bands that are in Northhamptonshire. There is no easy way round the fact that most Bands have to travel to get to the Area contest. With ours being the largest area lets look for a venue that has good halls for the Bands to play in and supporters to listen,acces via major roads by most of the competing band. And big enough for all sction to take pace on the one Weekend, so we can get back to the days when the area was a chance for us to all meet up and see frends from all sections not just the one we play in.this may be to much to hope for but Warwick art center has all of these.