midlands Area Contest.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by marksmith, Mar 11, 2016.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I see that the central area draws least interest on 4br, again!
    No runners or predictions yet, last to be listed-as usual.
    A busy weekend, I know, but it takes place tomorrow.
    Come on band world, we have the same hopes and ambitions as 'oop Noorth'. Show an interest!

2. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Or 'dahn saaf' !!

Please post your predictions, news, hopes, fears etc for the Midlands Area on this thread.
    Come on Midlanders, take an interest!

3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

First contest back in midlands area for a while, really looking forward to it :)

Be nice to see a few people I haven't seen for a while, too.

marksmith likes this.
  4. Tim skelper

Tim skelper New Member

As Iwan said...
    There is almost a deliberate air of sober calmness about Bedworth and the contests that take place in the Civic Hall and Nicholas Chamberlaine Technology College: Unlike some areas of the country, people in these parts don’t tend to wear their banding hearts on their sleeves or at the bottom of a pint glass for everyone to see and hear.

It’s as if the bands turn up at the venues to enquire about library opening hours in Hathern or the availability of evening cookery classes in Ratby. It’s not that they don’t have that same ingrained passion about their banding - far from it in fact - but they do tend to keep a lid on their more feral emotions - until the announcement of the results that is.

5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

My first Midlands Contest tomorrow. Into the unknown and my very first gig with this Band too. Looking forward to it (but not the early start!)

6. Leveridge96

Leveridge96 Member

Best of luck all :)

7. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

the band ?
    im with ifton

8. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Have the midlanders perhaps realised that contesting is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things and derive enjoyment from simply participating and making music. Will this dawn on other banders around the country in the fullness of time?

MissBraz and Mesmerist like this.
  9. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Nope, they are all in the Weatherspoons round the corner

Accidental and Slider1 like this.
  10. Mesmerist

Ian we are in the same band! I'm new and I don't know everyone yet. :)
    PS That was a dire result considering how we played...:(

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Area Contest
    oop Noorth
    hopes
    midlands Area Contest
    usual
  12. Mesmerist

Prince of Wales was quite full too...

13. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

A great day at the third section contest, today.
    I heard all 17 bands and met a lot of old buddies.
    My own predictions were way out with the adjudicators, though we all know that is par for the course!
    The first two bands, Amington and Ifton, set a high bar, though neither got into the top six, surprising.
    Well done to the qualifying bands, particularly Melton, under the baton of my old mate, Graham Sutton.
    Great fourth place for Newhall, they must be well chuffed.
    I still feel uncomfortable about the split draw situation, though it obviously cannot be avoided in a large section.
    Does it affect placings? Probably, but providing evidence to prove that would be difficult.
    Bands either side of the break played blinders, (Market Rasen and Towcester), though seemed to act as 'marker bands' for adjudication.
    The adjudicators had a difficult job to do but seemed adamant on what they were looking for, obliging bands were rewarded.
    Excellently run by the regional committee, led efficiently and warmly by Mick Veasey.
    Well done all at NC.

14. Ianroberts

A bit of a surprise yes, but never mind eh !

P.S You may be new, but I only attended 2 rehearsals so most are new to me.

15. Ianroberts

Oh I wish you hadn't put that. The scandal monkeys on here will be on it like a tramp on a discarded bag of chips

:oops:

16. Mesmerist

It's the truth though Ian. There is nothing inflammatory in my post is there? I'll delete it if you think I should. Deleted!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  17. Ianroberts

never mind

18. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Not an over-reaction then, Ian?
    The thread was going nice and relaxed and you put the frighteners on a fellow band member. Sad move.
    All you really achieved was drawing attention to an innocent observation from an enthused member, which you state might attract 'scandal monkeys' !!
    So, in response we see a forum member bullied into deleting a post.
    Now people WILL wonder what went on, or is that what you really wanted to achieve?
    Whose post asked the most questions from those outside of your band?
    You owe someone an apology.

19. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Congratulations to Gus and Thoresby bands.
    Desford third and JLR 6th, what do I know about predictions?
    The three recently promoted bands (Bilton, Leicester co-op and Shirley), found the going tough, it always is in this section!
    Derwent continue their good form with a commendable 5th place.
    Well done to all.

20. Mesmerist

Desford coming 3rd will please a certain player in my band. He played with them for 16 years in their heyday. He's an awesome cornet player as well as a lovely person. I'm looking forward to his rendition of "The Green Hornet" later this year. I'm just disappointed he won't follow my suggestion and wear a bumblebee outfit. :D

marksmith likes this.
  21. Ianroberts

No not at all, where have I bullied anyone ? Mark you really are way off the mark here. I suggest you get your head from up your 4rse !

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Area Contest
    oop Noorth
    hopes
    midlands Area Contest
    usual