Midlands area changes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by backrowbloke, Aug 9, 2005.

1. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

So, the Midlands area is going to change format....read the article here

The thing I don't understnad here is ..
    "To finance the development, bands entering the contest will be required to purchase concessionary tickets (formerly known as bandperson’s passes) to gain admittance to the contest auditoriums at all times, both to listen to bands and hear the results, and to enter band assembly areas"

Does this mean I have to pay to go the changing areas. If so, I can't say I'm happy about that. Generally at contests, paying to enter the place is OK as there are the trade stands, bar areas etc. HOWEVER at Burton, all we have is the burger bar in the car park! :mad:

Can anyone clarify?

PS - If all Midlands bands have been informed before this press realease, how come I , as Contest Secretary haven't had any correspondance from the committee?

A not very happy BRB

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    area changes
    Midlands
    contest
    tickets
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I read that as being registration.

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Surely this means you can get into register and play (obviously..:rolleyes: ) and I assume for the results too but not to listen to anyone else.

In the recent "Area test pieces" thread I did say this was the way the Area contests were going to go, and it would seem that the Midlands area are the first to jump here.

I fully understand the financial problems of running an Area contest but, to me it seems wrong to ask bandsmen to pay to listen to the section they are competing in. Surely a better way of moving the movement forward as a whole is to find a way to attract non-playing people in to listen to the whole contest. Much harder I know, but then when was the easy way the best way?

5. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I fully agree with you Ian. This makes a mockery of our "amateur" status... if we, as bandspersons, are expected to pay in to listen to other bands in your section, then you would see attendances for every section everywhere fall, as one of the best parts of contest day is to go in and listen to so-called "superior" bands in your section (or to go and snigger quietly at places that don't go quite so well for your nearest challengers).
    I know for a fact that if I had to pay in, I'd much rather go to the bar anyway, at least you get your money's worth!!

Andy

6. WoodenFlugel

Interesting to read that this is to fund having two adjudicators in the box for every section.

Now I find that slightly annoying as I know there has been a long campaign for "two in the box" in the midlands, it's definitely the way forward, but the way the bands who were going for this wanted this to be implimented was for the second adjudicator to be funded out of the prize money. IE there is no prize fund anymore. After all, who is bothered about winning the Area and getting a hundred and fifty quid (or whatever it may be for a particular section) for the privilege? I always view the area as a means to two ends - 1. to get a decent ranking in your section, 2. to get to the finals. the prize money is an irrelevance.

I don't see how this will raise significant funds to pay for a second adjudicator. I will not now be listening to any other bands in my section next year, and I would suspect most others will feel the same. So, how is selling a couple of tickets to bandsmen who are already out of pocket due to extra rehearsals, travelling to the contest, lost time at work etc etc going to pay for the hundreds an extra adjudicator is going to cost? Isn't the easier option to simply get rid of the prize money?

(yes my previous post says that the easiest way not being the best, but surely here, the easiest way is the blindingly obvious way...)

7. WoodenFlugel

Oh and by the way...please anyone feel free to shoot me down in flames here - I would be very interested to see financial breakdowns and predictions of exactly how many bandsmen are expected to pay to re-enter their section - and how this compares to an abolition of prize money or a slightly increased entry fee.

Don't get me wrong here - i know its hard to find funding, but I feel there are many more elegant ways of finding funding for what we all agree is the way forward for our Area contests.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong but were the member bands asked as to their preferance of the way to pay for an extra adjudicator?

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Perhaps this is all a ploy to have less bandspeople in attendance to watch the actual contest so there are less to complain about dodgy results?

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I agree with all you are saying WoodenFlugel, but I think you have missed something regarding the money raised. As far as I recall the entrance fee is usually £5 . So if we say each band fields 25 players thats £125 per band

Say 18 bands per section thats £2250 per section

5 sections thats over 11 grand :eek:

I'd like to be that 2nd adjudicator getting over 2 grand per section for an afternoons work.

10. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

Unnhhh? What've i missed? i'm a midlands area contest sec and this is all news to me. where was this article printed?

in any case, you already have to show the band members' tickets to get on stage, which the band pays for through the entry fee, so i don't see how this is any different. unless we have to pay for them *as well as* the fee.

11. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Lots of toys out of prams here but if the bands want 2 adjudicators they are going to have to pay for them. Why should anyone else?

If you all choose to stay in the bar spending vastly more than the £5 to go in and listen that's your choice but by doing so the atmosphere in the hall will be lost and you all lose out.

Getting rid of prize money will penalize the better bands. Surely it is fairer to share the cost accross the section.

Pay up and stop moaning.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    area changes
    Midlands
    contest
    tickets
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

14. WoodenFlugel

True it will "penalize" the bands in the placings, but lets just analyse this a second:

For coming second this year we got the grand total of seventy-five quid. The score for RVW's Variations costs about £36, the entry fee is something like £50 and then there are other things such as conductors and deps fees, rehearsal room hire, coach hire (if you have one) etc etc....all told, a lot more than is on offer in prize money. Therefore the "prize" is effectively a non-entity. If we want to win prize money we will go to Butlins or Wychavon. The Area is for league ranking, promotion and relgation issues, and a shot at the nationals.

I've never met anyone who has said "we're going to the area for the prize money on offer" and if I did I wouldn't believe them.

I appreciate that extra adjudicators need to be paid for somehow, but why should it come out of pockets of the very people who are competing in the section?

15. MattB

MattB Member

Seems ludicrous to me. Bands already pay to enter the contest, sometimes as much as 60 quid. That gives us the 30 or so bandspersons passes to wander around backstage. Surely they don't expect you to pay for those passes AS WELL as the entry fee?

If so, that's not on!

16. postie

postie Member

It is a good thing that the Midland areas will now use 2 adjudictors. But I do think that it is an imposition to expect the bands to put up the money to cover this. It seems the bands are getting the rough end of stick on this one.

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Interesting to note that when the BFBB did their Nationals Survey the question as how the 2nd adjudicator was to be paid was covered in the "Prize Money" section. 50% of the bands that replied suggested sponsorship and 35% said forget the prize money - assuming that adjudicator fees are in the £150 to £300 range that works then - this method of charging bandsman for tickets will raise considerably more money than needed.

Prize Money at Regional Contests
    Present levels of prize money could only be increased if more funding was available
    to the Regional Committees.
    Should we...a)Leave things as they are? 36 (20.8%)b)Try to enhance funding by sponsorship (this would have to be acceptable to the owners)? 83 (47.9%)c)Give only trophies and use the present prize money to pay a second adjudicator? 61 (35.2%)

18. ari01

ari01 Active Member

I get the impression that you don't have a choice whether to buy these tickets or not

19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This is from Brass Band World announcement:

"To finance this development, bands entering the regional championships will be required to purchase concessionaire tickets (formerly known as Bandperson's Passes) to gain admittance to the contest auditoriums at all times, both to listen and hear the results, and will also admit to band assembly areas"

Think that means you're right just have to wait and see what price "concessionary" is

20. dyl

dyl Active Member

It could be worse folks - imagine if you had to fork out well over a grand - every single year - to travel to your own area contest - like we have to with the contest at Swansea. The Welsh Regional Committee better not try and spring something similar to this on us as well..........................

21. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

But if you play a round of golf, enter a half-marathon, book a tennis court, play in an amateur football match you will pay green fees, race entry fees, court fees, match fees or whatever. I can't see why we shouldn't all pay to play.

Who else do you think should pay when no-one other than the competitors gives a monkey's who wins, apart from a few supporters and they WILL have paid for their tickets.

It's not much more than the price of a pint anyway.

22. WoodenFlugel

But the bands already pay an entry fee...and in my case (and I suspect most other people's cases too) I pay my band via subscription. I just don't see how it can be fair to expect the players who are actually making up the section to pay directly to go in and listen to their peers.

As you have said previously Bob, the chances are we will be playing to a virtually empty halls next year - not good for the performances or the acoustic, or the sprit of the players for that matter. Surely a better way is to try and encourge people in to listen rather than charging them away?