Midlands Area Adjudicators

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Adjudicators for the Area Contests (2005)

There has recently been a lot of discussion on using two adjudicators per section at this years area competitions. Although in recent weeks I've heard no more on the matter.

Does anyone know what the current state of play is with this one?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Only thing I have heard is that the BFBB have still to analyse the results of the survey to see if bands are willing to depart with some of the prize money to fund extra judges in their areas.
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

If that's the case then its looking like a No. My entry form states that the prize money remains the same.

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The London & Southern Counties Region has already announced their judges (http://www.underwd.demon.co.uk/L&SCR/) and it looks like one per section.

David Read will be doing Champ/ 1st sections
    Malcolm Brownbill will be doing 2nd/ 3rd Sections and
    Stan Lipeat will be doinh 4th section

It seems that ever since RAH, Mr. Read and Mr. Brownbill are pretty hot commodoties.
  5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Dunno bout the rest of the country but i'm sure that the northern area is only one judge per section as is the north west.

If my memory is correct i think only scotland and one other region thought this idea was good and the rest rejected it.
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Thing is people are still gonna be ***** about the result and blame it on the number of adjudicators anyway... no1 can win with either system... 1, 2, 3 in a box... so what.... one persons opinion is easy and simple than 2 people arguing in the box as to who was better....

Here's to some good contesting this year, no matter how many people are put in the box!!
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Thing is, if they aren't prepared to at least try another system they can't really complain if they don't like the result :roll:
  8. Does anyone know WHO the judges are yet?
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Well they've used the 2 in a box system in other contests... and 3... like Nationals and Masters contests, etc.
    People'll still complain.. there is always someone who has to moan about it.... see it enough on this forum... before and after the contest.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... this is exactly the scenario! Banders must be happy with the general adjudication system, relying on subjective rather than collective opinion, when they have a chance of being relegated if their band is mid-stream position in their section.

p.s., I like your new avatar, Mike :)
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... what made a difference at the RAH last year was that the adjudicators got together to listen to a band work out on the test-piece to collate their thoughts a few days before getting into the box. I can't think of adverse opinions being sounded regarding results after the finals.
  12. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I know that the adjudicators for the Scottish were announced 3 months ago!

Ch & 1st - David Read & Steve Prichard-Jones
    2nd - Steve Bastable & Ian Brownbill
    3nd - Andrew Duncan & Allan Ramsey
    4th - David Read & Ian Brownbill

Scotland have led the way with the 2 adjudicators, and have had 2 at the contest (all sections) from 2002.
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Yes I know about that....
    Contest day: Playing with a band on that day and reading the comments from all 3 adjudicators afterwards, they had different opinions... in one section, for example, 2 of them said it wasn't emotional enough and phrased right (or whatever it was) and the 3rd said it was perfect......

Believe me I heard peoples opinions of the results after the contest as well! :lol:
  14. peatair

peatair Member

I think Yorkshire are having 2 adjudicators - at least for the Championship Section. The idea of 2 adjudicators has not been generally well received however - perhaps mainly due to expenses.

It's probably time that some more adjudicators were brought into the system. It's often the same names being used all the time and there ought to be a definite move to get new people qualified. I think it would be a good idea to have one "trainee" adjudicator at every contest! Just a thought.
  15. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

The thing is if you've got two or three in the box they still collude together and vote as one! Every time I've been at such a contest and read the adjudicators remarks by some remarkable coincidence the Band invariably has exactly the same points awarded by each judge.

If they're gonna do it then I think they should be in separate boxes and the points tallied at the end............ in the interest of fairness to one and all. Or is it too risky having possibly totally differing opinions being presented by each adjudicator?
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We could debate the merits or otherwise of two adjudicators for ever and a day. I too have been on the recieving end of adjudicators "colluding" (if thats the right word) when in the same box, but surely that has to be better than just one on his own. If nothing else at least there is someone to bounce opinions off. But I have to agree that two in seperate boxes is probably the ideal. (I know that might contradict what I've just said about bouncing opinions around but tough :p )

I don't think there will ever be a decisive best way to adjudicate band contests - but in my opinion it would seem more sensible to have more adjudicators to minimise the risk of freak results.

In answer to your original question Roger - I don't think the North Midlands Area have announced ther adjudicators yet (correct me if I'm wrong there please) and as far as I'm aware there will still only be one person in the box for sections 1-4.
  17. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

When the "regions" discussed the number of adjudicators for future Area Contests, they decided to leave it at one only per section.
    It was reported that Scotland failed to attend these discussions and stuck to two adjudicators.
    Unlike Scotland, Yorkshire could be bothered to attend the meeting but decided to ignore the recommendation anyway!

Democracy in action!

Did you mean "Scotland leading the way" or suiting themselves!
  18. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Well, Scotland have had the 2 adjudicators since 2002, and it appears to have been a success, so, why change back?
  19. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I think there is a case for uniformity in the Area`s, you may remember that Wales was made to change its much admired grading system.
    They used to grade their bands over a number of local contests, now its the same as the rest of us.
    Scotland in banding terms has a reputation for "independant thinking"
    When we increasingly need a single minded focus, is this helpful?
  20. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I can see where you are coming from although I'm afraid I don't know of the changes in Wales. There should really be a single minded focus, but like anything else, there is always going to be a bit of conflict on agreeing terms, 'who is right' and 'who is wrong'?