Midland Areas - Rehearsal Facilities

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I've received an e-mail from Jackfield Band offering rehearsal facilities for bands competing at the Midlands Area Championships. With their permission, I am passing on the offer to other bands.

Basically, Jackfield Band have provisionally booked the Town Hall, Burton upon Trent on Sunday 15th February so they can hold a pre-contest rehearsal in the venue, and are asking other bands if they would be interested in joining them and splitting the costs?

If you are interested in this venture please contact:
    Darrin Smith c/o Jackfield Band at:

darrin@joanne04.freeserve.co.uk

:wink:

2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

now thats not a bad idea, especialy if you have never played there
    hint hint :wink:

3. Hornted

Hornted Member

Rehearsal facilities

A Good idea but when suggested a couple of years ago the Midlands Area Committee were not at all impressed when bands arranged rehearsed in Burton Town Hall prior to the contest and certainly made their feelings known on the subject.

4. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

It is a good idea but it's the NEMBBA on the 15th and so quite a few bands will be there.
    Would be very beneficial to those that have never played there though coz i found it really strange when i played there for the first time! If i remember correctly the stage is quite strange in it's shape or position (i've played there bout 3 times including last year! but have a crappy memory!!) and i found it very difficult to hear the rest of the band so a run through for those that aren't used to it would be very helpful. :D

5. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

Re: Rehearsal facilities

I understand your views, I know you are not saying it is right or wrong, but I would be interested to hear other peoples views on whether it should be allowed.

Here are mine... for what they are worth!

Unless it appears in the rules, is there anything that can be done? If the Midlands Area Committee knew about it previously and then showed their distaste, then they should have already done something about it surely?

I don't believe this can be viewed as cheating, just a well thought out decision to acclimatise to the conditions. World Cup footballers do it!

Besides how much can a knowledge of the acoustics really benefit?

My personal views only, not the views of the band I play for!

Jimmy

6. Hornted

Hornted Member

Burton Town Hall

I agree with you totally as I did back in 2002 when this subject came up before. To be able to put it in the rules would be difficult as a number of bands from the Midlands play concerts in Burton Town Hall each year and you cannot really prevent that.

I guess it is a benefit to bands to sit on the stage and play the test piece in the venue before the day however the acoustic produced will be different if the hall is empty.

Good luck to the bands that book the venue, I was just trying to point out what the reaction had been in the past.

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Re: Burton Town Hall

There will probably be no different in accoustics then, cos when I've been, especially for the early draws, the hall is by no means bursting at the seams with people.

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Re: Burton Town Hall

Perhaps bands could try booking an audience too!! Complete with sharp intakes of breath when there's a glitch! :roll:

And surely no rehearsal at Burton would be complete without a man to warn you about the extra big step before the stage, or the man to hit the bell to signify your readiness....