Middle C or G??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet_player, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

I have noticed that most if not all tutor books starts with the note G. I have been watching with interest a number of beginner players who find it almost imposible to pitch a G and so they learn up the C major scale from middle C which is what I did.

I wondered it there was any specific reason why all the tutor books begin with G does it make it easier to play later on or does it matter??
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

mine all began with Bb or F... :wink:

but to be honest I don't know why, I think some students find it easier to start on different notes. Everyone is different as they say...
  3. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

When playing an instrument, 99% of the time i've found that if people are asked to play a note, then if they don't think about it they'll play a G rather than anything else. For beginners it's the easiest note (I think!) to begin with because of this, and then after they've become more "stable" with their playing then other notes can be explored.
    I myself, if I'm not thinking, pick up my instrument, don't press any valves and play whatever comes out, 99% of the time it will be a G.
  4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

If i'm right and someone please correct me if im wrong but a 'G' is easier to pitch because it has something to do with the amount of resonance.

A 'G' resonates through the instrument better than a C thus making it much more of a comfortable note to pitch, i think its technically the easiest note to play!

Hope thats right! :oops:
  5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

The Team Brass books (I don't like em but that's what I learned from) starts on C(Bb) or G(F) depending on what the student produced. I got a G when I started I think :S
  6. horn1

horn1 Member

I've been using the Standard of Excellence books with my beginners (I don't like the fact that they use American note values but hey!). They begin with two pages one starting with C and one starting with G. I go for whichever the pupil find easiest. I do find these books very good other than the note values.
  7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Most cornet players I have taught will naturally start on low C and slowly work upwards. I think it is different for bigger instruments.

I encourage my beginners to start on a middle (ie third space on the stave) C when possible. If they can do it it gives them a head start over those who start lower. If we're to teach them that its all about air and not lip or tongue, C is possible in most cases. I've had some spectacular results, along with some who just can't, in which case we resort to G.

In my experience, those who begin cornet on low C develop very flabby embouchures and usually struggle to climb up to middle C.

8. Di B

Di B Member

Although most tutor books start on G I usually try and teach the first octave without the use of tutor books.

I have found that each player will have a different 'comfy' note depending on their instrument and embrochure. My first note was 'middle C' (3rd space) but I have always been odd :wink:

Once they find their note then you can move them up and down their first scale as necessary.

I think a lot of it is to do with the embrochure - and you generally find the bigger the instrument, the higher the first note.

I don't think it matters too much..... as long as the beginner can produce a note! To tell a beginner (especially a child) that although they have their first note but it isn't right could do a lot of confidence damage.

Just my opinions :lol:
  9. When starting a complete beginner off - presumably the student would be asked to buzz first, then MP buzz -- then play on the instrument.

A fairly decent sounding c could be played using a bad technique........however if a student is started off on g - then a more correct technique is required to play a decent sounding one.

Starting on g helps to eliminate bad embouchure setting.
  10. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i learnt that middle C was the C in the stave an not the middle C on the ledger line.
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

do you play everything an octave up then? :eek:
  12. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

no just middle c was in the middle of top c an bottom c now im confused... :oops:
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

hehe s'ok was joking :) cos on piano.. (and most instruments) middle C is the one with one ledger line below stave
  14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

oh aye i get that, its just if someone said to me when i'd first started, play a middle C, i played the piano's high C.
  15. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

You've read Roddy's books too then :wink:
  16. Yes....and had a three hour lesson.........worth every penny!!
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't "a tune a day" (which I learnt from :oops: ) start with a first space F?

If I'm wrong it was a very long time ago! :shock: