Microsoft ships "Windows Live Messenger"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 24, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

On Tuesday, Microsoft shipped Windows Live Messenger, an IM application that is replacing MSN Messenger, and the first deliverable from the company's wide-reaching set of Windows Live services. Windows Live Messenger combines traditional IM features with free PC-to-PC phone calls, inexpensive PC-to-telephone calls, video conferencing, and simple file sharing.

See here.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Microsoft
    IM
    PC
    Windows Live Messenger
    inexpensive PC
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  4. Di

Di Active Member

Well I've just downloaded it .... .and crashed it within 5 minutes!

I noted that typing ( didn't bring up the short cut to the emoticons. This is a feature of messenger plus. I clicked on my "plus" tab and got a "compatibility info" tab to press. Pressed that and a box came up saying this version of plus is incompatible, "check for updates". Clicked on the check for updates and it alllll crashed and closed down. :rolleyes: Ah well. No plus. :(

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- hope your compatibility problem's been solved now, Di ;)

6. Di

Di Active Member

Yes thank you Mr Brassneck. Well, I have a new version of messenger plus, but it still won't work the ( shortcut to emoticons. ;) But I can have my tabbed chats again which I like. :biggrin:

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've been using the BETA version and have been very happy with it....

However, after installation on this, I get a message saying that the application failed to start because "WINHTTP.DLL" was not found... it says reinstalling may fix the problem but it hasn't.... someone got any ideas pleeeeeease??

EDIT: sorted.. thanks google.... if anyone gets above problem put the file name into google, download it from site and extract files into system32 folder.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  8. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I upgraded yesterday without any problems. However, it's taking me a while to get used to the new look and new features. I do like the feature where you can send a message to someone offline and they will get it the next time they go online.

BUT

I've lost all my emoticons I had collected! :eek: Does anyone know how I can get them back. Are they hiding somewhere?

9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Have you checked your suitcase:tongue:

10. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I too upgraded yesterday. The only problem I seem to be having is that I no-longer see other peoples display pictures. I just get the little MSN dude. Anyone else having this problem? Help!

11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Sorry to go off topic MODS but.....

Give me a a rough estimate of how long this is likely to continue :eek: so I can stay away from tmp until that time! ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Microsoft
    IM
    PC
    Windows Live Messenger
    inexpensive PC
  13. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I'm sure I've got some emoticons stored in a suitcase somewhere that i can send you Susan. (sorry) Seriously, I'll be nice and give you some of mine, MSN me for em.

14. Di

Di Active Member

I've managed to get the display pics up but they're huuuuuge! I just need to find a way of making them smaller now. ;)

15. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Di, is there something inparticular you have to do to get them to display?

16. super_sop

go to manage your contacts, and click show details

17. Di

Di Active Member

Thats right, but I can't find an option for the icon size. :(

18. super_sop

mine dont seem to be overly large Ma. just measured them, and they are 13mm

19. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Oooh yeh, I seem to now have the same problem as Di, the pictures are huuuuuuuuge!

20. Di

Di Active Member

Yea, but before, they were tiny and could see lots of contacts at once. Now if I do that i've only got 6 on screen. :(

21. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

A cold shiver has just travelled down my spine!! Microsoft messing with an instant messaging service:eek: :eek: . I have a feeling I'm going to need to download and run it if only to find out how best to kill it when it becomes as hacked and useless as Windows Messenger!

Collected emoticons? Where from pray tell? Hope you didn't use someone like Smiley Central or messfreak or if you did, I hope you've got REALLY good anti - virus and anti spyware software running on your PC!!

Puss

22. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I pinch them from my MSN contacts! :oops:

Have I got a good anti-virus and anti spyware software running on my PC? Don't know how good it is but have got Norton! Don't seem to have had any problems so far. What should I be worried about?