microphone options

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by teletext45, Dec 26, 2014.

1. teletext45

teletext45 New Member

Firstly, just like to wish a very Happy Christmas to everyone! Hope you all had a good one!

Getting down to business, I play trombone in a soul band and looking to improve my mic options. I'm wanting to get a clip on mic for my trombone and weighin up the options. I'm currently split between two microphones:

AKG C519

Shure Beta 98

Has anyone got any experience of either of these mics?

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Not sure that you'll get much response here. Try a PM to Vegas Bound and looking on the US based 'the trombone forum'
  3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I agree, this forum is mainly about brass bands, which in general are usually loud enough to not require any form of on stage sound system, unlike the type of band you are playing in.
    The few times a brass band requires amplification, micing up is usually left to the sound engineers who should know their job, and is usually only for recording purposes. Though there may be other occasions.
    I can only think of maybe at the most two members on here who would be qualified at all to comment constructively for you in any case.
  4. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Have used both of those mic's on cruise ships etc...I am not a fan of bell mic's for the trombone, as they make it difficult if not impossible to change your sound, so for solo's etc I prefer a mic on a stand...and mute use/changes are almost impossible

But if you have decided it' the route to go down then for a soul band it is down really to £££'s as they are both top quality mic's, just remember it's there before you try and put your horn on it's stand!!!