Messing with Synth...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Oct 15, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Anyone else here into Synths...?

Since treating myself to a new Synth a few months ago (Korg Radias) I have been doing way too much dabbling, and not anywhere near enough recording - so I thought it about time I experimented and came up with some new tracks and actually recorded something.

I have recently purchased a few soft synths too, and this is a quick improvisation using my Korg KARMA for the ambient bass line (hardware synth) and Absynth (softsynth) for the flutey fluttery lead. All made up on the spot.

Have a listen and laff :) comments welcome.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    improvisation
    Synth
    Anyone
    synths
    tracks
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I got a 404 error on your link John ;)

I've got a few keyboards stacked up against various walls here....shame really, but I don't really get that much time to use them anymore. Various bits and pieces (including a Karma, a Virus Indigo, a Roland XV-3080 and a Triton rack amongst others) - it's got that bad I've just donated my first synthesiser - a Yamaha DX100 - and my drumpads (Roland SPD-6) to my 3 year old son so at least someone gets to play them :hammer

Corrected link is HERE.

4. Di

Di Active Member

The link worked OK for me. I've had a listen. Its spooky and mysterious, and has a "eastern promise" touch to it. :clap:

5. KMJ Recordings

He's edited it the sneaky devil ;)

It had a fuill stop instead of a / in it.

6. TheMusicMan

Yup - all fixed up - thanks for pointing it out Keith.

So - come on... anyone else into synths? If so, get your pieces up here too:)

7. Lisa

Lisa Member

Very Eerie! :)

8. BrianT

BrianT Member

Anorak vs Luddite

I used to be a complete keyboard anorak. To the extent that I'd buy albums unheard based solely on the keyboards used, e.g. Eddie Jobson's Zinc (Yamaha CS-80), Vangelis (CS-80 again) (do you sense a theme here?) Tomita (shed fulls of synths). I owned a CS60 for years, and stuck the Jupiter-8 brochure to my bedroom wall. Alongside the brochures of the Synclavier and the Revox reel-to-reel. Like I said, complete anorak.

Each successive year the manufacturers would trumpet their latest D50, or DX7 or M1, and folk would rush out and buy that year's hot keyboard. But mention to anyone today that your rig contains a DX7 and the response would be ridicule.

Seems to me most modern keyboards have a very short sell-by date. They just don't have the permanence or authority of a Steinway or a Rhodes or a clavinet or a B3. I don't think this is just me being a luddite, is it?

9. KMJ Recordings

DX7's - and their sofware counterparts - are on the rise again. IME things like this go round in circles. There's definitely a resurgence is FM synthesis.

The rise in softsynths is responsible in part for things going vaguely full circle. Take, for instance, the Korg Legacy bundles that I know John is looking at. Emulations of the MS20, Poly Six and the Wavestation plus the ability to matrix them together - pretty powerful stuff - but based on the things supposedly of yesteryear. Then there's the digital one that contains the M1 emulation. The reason the it's only a vague circle is that these things are exactly what they say - emulations - and only an MS20 is an MS20....but they're close.

You're quite right that back in my early days of the D50s and M1s the problem was that it was very fashionable to be seen with them. They got overused and abused then got put back into the store room...

At the end of the day, though, all this stuff is just technology and it's about what you create with it and not how you go about it.

I'd still rather play a Steinway that use Stenberg's The Grand though ;)

10. TheMusicMan

Well said Keith.

I would say that VsT's such as Native Instruments FM7, Absynth or Korgs KLC are first class examples of how technology has advanced and embraced musical production. The sounds available using them are nothing short of superb, and the possibilities to layer the sounds, and thus create fantastic musical landscapes is endless.

I'm happy to create some short samples to show what these soft synths can do if anyone is intersted.

11. gawber

gawber Active Member

It made me think of Lawrence of Arabia, astride a camel, looking out across the desert.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    improvisation
    Synth
    Anyone
    synths
    tracks
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- the video demos on the Korg site are quite nifty!

14. KMJ Recordings

Traditionally, I've found most of the demos from the Japanese synth manufacturers somewhat cheesy :D They can be useful though in revealing what kind of things a synth can be useful for.

The demos for the Access Virus TI and the older B & C series can be found here - it was hearing Endorphins on the cover disc of Future Music that made me investigate the Virus Indigo.

15. TheMusicMan

I just love the Access Virus TI - the sounds and scapes that it can produce are immense. I appreciate it is a little bit 'buggy' given its 'TI' tag (Total Integration), but it also comes with a superb set of features and functions that it simply has to be worth a look. I feel I already know what my Christmas pressie is this year!!! :)

Also while we are talking about product video demos: I feel Korg knows how to make a video demo, especially a 'live' one at a music event/show as the demos I have seen on Sonic State etc are way better than most other companies. Access on the other hand, are dreadful. I watched a video presentation of the Acess Virus TI at NAMM which was delivered by two guys from Access who were stuttering, stumbling and I think generally not doing a good job to promote their undoubtedly superb product. They didn't seem to have even thought about what their ad-hoc script might comprise and ended up asking themselves questions during the recording.

It is vitally important to get this promotional element right and Korg are most certainly masters at this. They obviously rehearse and at the very least get a prearranged sequence of sounds/patches and music ready to show off as soon as they see someone with a TV/Video recodring device at any of the shows they attend.

Talking of shows: anyone going to the wonderful MusicLive on 3rd/4th/5th Nov?

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Future Music .... now that's memories for me ... I have all the early magazines when it first started! Was really good for learning about programmes such as Cubase and Cakewalk. :cool:

- regarding the Korg demo ... the guy is so proficient looking and sleek throught it that it gives the impression that it's soooo easy to get to grips with the keyboard. (aye, aye!)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  17. TheMusicMan

Actually Tom, the Radias is a joy to programme - even I can do it. There are a plethora of controls on the front panel, and when in edit mode the display automatically adjusts to show the page of whatever button you are playing with. The step-sequencer is a joy, as is the arrpegiator (almost the same controls) and there is a modulation seqnencer too that is whacky.

All the usual Synth parameters are available on the front panel; LFO, Mod, Filters, Osc's etc, and it really is a dream to play with. A simple tweak here and there changes the original sound beyond recognition. Happy to record some short demo's if ya like!

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- not got them done yet? :) (as I get to grips with my latest hi-tech delivery ... a shiny, new Yamaha 'Jim Self' signature mouthpiece, lol!)

19. TheMusicMan

Right, that sounds like a challenge :)

I'll have several Radias Sound demos done within the hour. Shall we say 10?;)

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- stopwatch already counting ... ;) (...or are you meaning this new mouthpiece of mine?)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  21. TheMusicMan

Just taking lad out with his mates and I shall make a start.

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- good, good! :p