Messiah and Huddersfield Choral Society

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BottyBurp, Dec 3, 2003.

1. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Hi all

I'm trying to track down a CD of Huddersfield Choral Society (not Halifax) with a band (Dyke?) performing Handels' Messiah.

Any takers?

TIA

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Huddersfield Choral Society
    Handels
    Messiah
    Halifax
    Dyke
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

This seems to be a duplicate thread, so I've zapped the other one!
    Mod

4. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

It was! I was trying to get it seen by any Suppliers as well as here... Oh well :oops:

Bass Man likes this.
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

To the best of my knowledge, the only available recording of the Messiah as arranged by Denis Wright is the one featuring the Halifax Choral Society and Dyke on the Doyen label. There was a BBC Radio broadcast sometime in the mid 80s of a performance conducted by Harry Mortimer with (I think) the Huddersfield Choral society and Dyke and one other band (my memory fails me there) I don't know whether it might be worth trying to contact the Beeb to see if they still have it/sell it/might broadcast it again.

Regards

6. MalWel

MalWel New Member

On rummaging in some old cupboards I came across a cassette tape I made from the BBC Radio Broadcast Harry Mortimer and the HCS together with Black Dyke and another band (I will have to play it through again to catch the name of the other) . It was always a favourite of mine to play at Christmas but like you I could never find a commercial recording

I have managed to copy it onto CD - although the quality is not HiFi !

Not sure if you tracked anything down or are still interested ! ( It was a long time ago when you posted this) If so I would try to run a copy off for you.

Regards

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I was lucky enough to find a copy of this double CD on Ebay a year or two ago - Wright's arrangement is in fact rather good, and the band adapts itself very well to the demands of the music. Worth paying a few quid extra for if you can find a copy, in my opinion.