Mervyn Dawkins - Chelmsford SA Band

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Bariman, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Bariman

Bariman Member

I'm sorry to say that Mervyn Dawkins, a member of Chelmsford SA Band, was Promoted to Glory on Sat 11 December after a short illness.

Please pray for his wife Etel and the members of the family at this time.

PM me for funeral details.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear the sad news, always seems more poignant at this time of year. It's two years to the day since my father-in-law passed away, so we know something of what it is like. Please assure the family of our thoughts and prayers.
  3. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Very sorry to hear that,

My neighbour, a lovely chap of just 42 passed away 2 years ago on the 23rd.
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mervyn did a short stint playing at Croydon Brass Band when i was there, and was a very funny man. Was saddened to hear the news.
  5. Bariman

Bariman Member

Mervyn's funeral was a great celebration of his life.

There was a composite band on duty made of colleagues from Chelmsford and Upper Norwood corps bands (his last two corps bands) and the London North East Divisonal "oldies" band (sorry I can never remember their proper title) of which Mervyn was also a member. I think we had 8 trombones in the band but I lost count.

The band played before the service and then played the first part of Tom Rive's "I know a fount" as the funeral party entered the hall.

Major George Whittingham conducted the band in Dean Goffin's "Light of the World" during the service and the funeral party left to Wilf Heaton's "Praise".

A fitting send of the a great bander.