Menin Gate Ceremony

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Getzonica, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

After going to Belgium and watching the Menin Gate Ceremony last year, I was wondering whether anyone knew how you could arrange for your band to play in/ before the ceremony?
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

3. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Thanks Jan H :)
  4. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

A fantastic day this is! really worth doing! the audience and everyone associated are very appreciative :) every band should be made to do this!
  5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I agree all bands should do it. I went there with my school on our battlefields trip and the ceremony was one of my favourite highlights!
  6. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Rayburn tours can organise it as part of a tour package. It's in their tour brochure for 2009/10
  7. Tubawolves

Tubawolves Member

Ypre Menin Gate

Contact the Ypre Fire Brigade, I am sure they can sort you out without involving third parties. The ceremony, as I am sure you know has been conducted every evening @ 20.00 by the Ypre Fire Brigade (apart from the second world war when German occupation stopped this, they recommenced the evening the Germans pulled out of Ypre). They have played last post following the naming of one of the 58,000 soldiers with no known grave. They are working their way through each soldier naming one per night.
    My friends uncle is remembered on the gate, his first visit to see his 19 year old uncle's name was hugely emotional. An Australian contingent were visiting and played the bagpipes, a lament for the fallen, lump in the throat stuff.
    Everyone should go! Very best of luck to you in your quest to play.