Men Only Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eckyboy, Mar 3, 2004.

1. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

After looking at the thread of Boys/Girls I was wondering what others thought of men only in some top bands.
    I cant think of any men only bands in Scotland but girls such as Alexandra Kerwin,Eleanor Ferguson and Katrina Marzella to name but a few would walk into any band in my opinion.
    Do you think this is right in modern day banding or just some bands constitution.
  2. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

A mens only band!?????? na, na! :wink:

Totally not on, there's so much fine women 'talent' kicking around ;) Of course I'm talking about playing talent! :)
  3. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

mmm whateva James all Boys are the same. lol. Off course theres going to be a men only band men are more whateva you call it.
  4. Salli

Salli Member

I just think they could be missing out on some of the best players around!

But I suppose it is part of their banding tradition and it would be sad to lose that. There are plenty of other bands around who recognise talent when they hear it :lol:
  5. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

the girls I mentioned play in Scotland but there are bound to be lots in England that could walk into the men only bands in england or elsewhere
  6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Within the Salvation Army there used to be a tradition of 'men only' bands but happily this has passed away. Whilst a band cannot be sued under sex discrimination laws (as this only applies to employment situations) I have long held the belief that it doesn't make sense to exclude half (or maybe more than half) of the banding population. There's a picture of Stockport Schools Band in this month's BBW and there is not a lad in sight! So the future may not be very bright for those who continue to adopt a male only policy.

The famous Scottish football manager Jock Stein, whilst manager of Celtic was asked if there were two players of identical ability, one a Roman Catholic and one a Protestant, which would he sign? His answer was that he would always sign the Protestant because he knew that Rangers would never sign the Catholic! The analogy works well in this instance and I wonder just for how long the men only band mentality can possibly survive. Remember that as recently as 15 years ago Rangers struggled to sign a Catholic, and it's only 20 years or so since yorkshire County Cricket Club took the 'bold' step to sign a non Yorkshireman!!

Roll on the winds of change!!

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band
  7. i think that a band shud b fairly even in number of men+women/boys+girls, means no1 gets left out then after the contest when drinks a plenty r the issue!, lol, no its pretty obvious that both men and women can play brass pretty well, and pretty awful 2 dependin on who u r but wot do u all think about the stereotypical instrument that a man or a woman shud play, eg men on bass girls on horn or woteva, i think its a rubbish thing 2 c, cate in my band is a brill bass player, prolly 1 of the strongest players in the band, theres some good euph and trombone players who r female aswell, and the number of male cornet players is huge, havin sed that the number of male brass players in general seems 2 b pretty big but the point im makin is it duznt matter wot gender u r, any gender can play any instrument, plz list ur views as this gender issue is 1 of the gr8 debates at my college course 4 essay work :D
  8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Hear, Hear! :)

There's also a subtle belief or undercurrent in many groups that women should only be on certain parts - flugel and tenor horn seem to be "women's parts" in some groups, and trombone and tuba "off limits". This is rarely actually stated, and fortunately is fading away, but I can remember being on band weekends in the late 90s and having questions about the band having a woman as principal trombone from some people.
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

Why not take revenge on the men only bands and set up a contesting band of the cream of the women players around, I have every confidence it would be a stunning band and more than a match for the mixed/men only bands around! Not gonna resolve the issue but would put a few noses out of joint!! :wink:
  10. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

as was said in the other threads of a similar nature.....
    Personally I think it is great to have women in a band and that they are just as capable of playing, moaning and drinking as well as men.

However, if any band decides that they do not want to include women (or men), then that is their perogative.

IMHO nobody should have the right to enforce any band to include both sexes. Any private club, or similar should be able to decide upon its membership and who they do and do not accept
  11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I have no problem with it either...infact I think they should limit the number of girls in band to 1 girl:5 blokes - that is where the fun would start :lol:
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Good plan batman....where do I sign up!

As for men only bands.... in my opinion its very dated. I'm not about to go off on a feminism rant but I think in this day and age its socially acceptable for boys and girls to play nicely together (assuming that the ladies are up to standard) without too much distraction :twisted:
  14. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

As long as we don't start getting quotas. God I am fed up with quotas :evil: .

I think there should be more women in banding, oh yes! :wink:

At the end of the day the all male bands make up some of the busiest bands in the movement with a lot of weekends and sometimes weeks away from home, coupled with plenty of beer and banter. If 'Gloria' walked in the band room, it wouldn't be the band that turned her down, it would be the players wives and girlfriends! (Eureka! I've just had a great idea for a TV series!)

Dave Horan
  16. Steve

Steve Active Member

'Bandsmens Wives', I cant see that getting put on at prime time!!!!!
  17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Amen. To me, the only requirements ought to be musical ability and commitment to the group (not necessarily in that order).

That said, I see nothing wrong with a group that chooses to be all male. It's not really any different from age restrictions for a youth band, for example.
  18. purcell thwaites

purcell thwaites New Member

Bandsmans Wives !!!!!! LOL I'm sure it would make grrrreat viewing :D
  19. goin off the point about makin an all girls band, theres already trinity girls who as far as i know r being tipped as 1 of the favourites 2 win their section this yr, makin 1 of the very best women players in banding tho wud consist of some xlnt players, theres no doubt in it, and it wud b interesting 2 put them in all the different area contests champ section and c how they do in each, it will neva happen tho, shame really, lol
  20. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Trinity Girls are a very good band. Thrashed evrybody in the 4th section last year at Wychavon. Think they had 1 bloke playing percussion.