Men of Harlech question

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Griffin, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Just wondering if the is a (Soprano) solo version of Men of Harlech out there... Ive got a copy of Charlotte Church singing it, just wondered if anyone has arranged it for Sop cornet (or any).

Cheers.

P.S. We play Roger Thorne's 'Zulu', with Men Of Harlech in it, and the Sop part is really good... hint hint, nudge nudge, say no more..;);)

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

There is an air vairie version by William Rimmer with Piano and Eb or Bb Instrument
    a full band version by Gordon Langford ( Offical Theme of the National Youth Band of Wales )
    and a fantastic version by Gareth Wood ( a companion piece to Sospan Fach - arranged for the 1992 European Championchips ).
    And the Famous " March Paraphrase " by Edward German which is used in the Zulu Score.

3. welshraz

welshraz Member

OOOOOOOOOOOO I like this idea. If there is anyone one out there who can doit, then DO IT!!

4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Yup..
    *cough* Mr Thorne

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just call me old fashioned but Men of Harlech is a war song , sung by loads of North Walian men out to kill Zulus etc..just dont have the same effect as sung by a lovely soprano. still if any bands are doing a St Davids Day concert the Gareth wood arrangement is ace with some fast sop work.

6. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I agree, when you here it you think of Rouke's Drift and the late 19th century, but On with the Motley is origianally song by a Tenor; a sad clown I think? not sure though, someone will correct me if i'm wrong!
    Just thought it was a great tune, and thought it would make a good Sop solo after hearing Charlotte Church sing it.

7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I HATE TO PUT A WELSHMAN RIGHT ON SOMETHING.......................

BUT

ALLTHOUGH SUNG IN THE FILM, IT WAS ACTUALLY FIRST PUBLISHED IN 1860, AND NOT ADOPTED BY THE PRINCE OF WALES REGIMENT UNTILL 1881, AND THE WORDS SUNG IN THE SONG WERE SPECIALLY WRITTEN FOR THE FILM.

INFO TAKEN FROM http://www.data-wales.co.uk/harlech.htm

8. Di

Di Active Member

BOC
    :biggrin:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  9. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

The sad thing is, I looked it up too before... Just didn't want to say owt;-)

10. Di

Di Active Member

Hehe, don't worry, I wouldn't dare BOC you. ;)
    boc
    Would I? :biggrin:;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Men
    question
    Harlech
    version
    Men of Harlech
  12. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

13. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

It is also in "Enchanted Wales", with optional Male Voice Choir, by 'yours truly'! available from TP Music or Just Brass.