Memory

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Soppy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Soppy

Soppy Member

Hi - I want to play 'Memory' from Cats as a Sop solo with my band. But I was wondering what the best arrangement was. There seem to be several out there. I've heard a Grimethorpe recording on a CD called 'Let's Face the Music', but I haven't seen the CD sleeve, so I don't know who the arranger is. So if anyone has that CD and can tell me, that'd be great. Otherwise, any other suggested arrangements would be good (eg the one Peter Roberts plays on his CD).

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sop
    CD
    Let's Face the Music
    Grimethorpe
    Cats
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I've a feeling that it's the Alan Catherall arrangement on Let's Face...

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As far as I'm aware the only Memory arrangement that is specifically a sop solo is the Catherall one, and very good it is too.

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

On Pete Roberts Legend,the arranger is listed as "Eliot / Nunn". All other recordings I have are by Allan Catherall.

6. KMJ Recordings

Which is rather bizarre, as T S Eliot wrote Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, and Trevor Nunn directed the musical....AFAIK neither arranged for brass bands....

I'll bet that made for an interesting MCPS return :p

7. brownrob

brownrob Member

I heard a version on one of the Brasscast podcasts, featuring St Denis Band I think, they played memory and it was by Catterall , I preferred it to the one on Peter Roberts CD, though Roberts playing was immaculate! :D

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it's definitely arranged for sop./brass band by Alan Catherall though. It's on sale on Justmusic's website and published by Obrasso

http://www.obrasso.ch/shop/index.htm

http://www.justmusicuk.com/spweb/details.php?catno=JM35703

9. KMJ Recordings

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I checked it out earlier on ;) . The CD doesn't give much away though! Trevor Nunn wrote the lyrics and the musical was based on T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats". And I didn't have any breakfast this morning! :rolleyes:

11. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Yes - the version I did for the brasscast podcast was arr by Alan Catherall. However nowhere near as immaculate as the Peter Roberts recording :D lol

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sop
    CD
    Let's Face the Music
    Grimethorpe
    Cats