Mellophone solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bob Stevenson, May 15, 2004.

1. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

Hello to all tMP'ers,....I have been looking at this forum for a few weeks and enjoy it a lot, so here goes with my first post!

In connection with my bands planned 'alternative brass nite' concert we would like to find some mellophone solos to have a look at. Does anyone know of any mellophone and band arrangments or even just Mellophone and piano etc.

Thanks in advance to any responders who can help, Bob Stevenson, Brentwood Brass.
  2. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I'm sure Sandy Smith must have done some (because he plays them ) but perhaps they're not in print.
  3. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Whats a Mellophone??

TIMBONE Active Member

As far as I remember, the Mellophone is a basically a french horn with the bell straightened, it has piston valves, fingered with the right hand with the bell facing forward. It was made famous by the Canadian Big Band man Stan Kenton, who had them in his 'extended' big band.

5. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Dont ask me i asked the question. Ill ask google
  6. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

TIMBONE Active Member

I wasn't asking you, I was asking the guy who put up the post.
  8. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

Thanks to all the responders so far.

We did'nt know of the Sandy Smith or Stan Kenton connections so there are possibilities there for a start,.....anybody know anything else that might bear fruit?

Tim Paton;......yes your about right with your description of the mellophone except its in Eb unlike the french horn. I have to say its not exactly my favourite sounding instrument we just thought it might make for a 'different' turn in our proposed concert.

Regards to all, Bob