Meet me in the car park...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mesmerist, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Pssst. You with the gig bag. Over here. OK. Climb into his car and travel with two strange men to an unknown destination for a first rehearsal. Got to love Banding. All normal rules thrown out of the window because it's Band Ok? (And it was of course)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Euphonium Lite and mikelyons like this.
  2. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

You reminded me of an interview on a TV show back in the 70's when Dyke, GUS, Fairey and CWS Manchester visited the Toronto area simultaneously. They did individual concerts and two massed concerts conducted by Harry Mortimer, Geoffrey Brand and Eric Ball. Also there were clinics presented by the esteemed HM, GB and EB. It was a memorable event. Anyway, back to the TV show, the wife of a Black Dyke bandsman was interviewed and asked about the amount of time her husband spent away from the house for band practices and concerts. Her reply, given in a broad Yorkshire accent, was along the lines of "At least when 'e's at band I know where 'e is"!! It was band so it was OK!

mikelyons likes this.
  3. Mesmerist

Was that in the days when women weren't allowed "in't band" though John? Been many an affair begun with the intense emotional highs and lows of the banding world...(and no, that's not really ok is it?)

mikelyons likes this.
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It's like Brassed Off brought to life! :)

5. Mesmerist

I've often thought Brass Banding would be a good setting for a TV soap. A sort of NorthEnders with music and less murder combined with the upbeatness of the Next Step (CBBC if you don't have Dance mad daughter).

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Well, it's safe to say that there were no women in any of the bands on that tour As for the rest of your comment, 'nuf said!!

Mesmerist likes this.
  7. Mesmerist

Obviously I am totally in favour of women in bands but I know I am not the only one to have been propositioned by an over amorous band mate. One lady was lift-sharing when the driver suddenly pulled into a lay by and tried his luck. He had misjudged his role as section leader; got a right ear bashing and was suitably contrite afterwards blaming a sudden lustful moment!

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

A female friend who I used to play in a band with once had an awkward moment with the conductor of a previous band that she'd played in. He gave her a lift home from rehearsal one night; she, knowing that he had a long journey ahead, offered him refreshment for the trip, inviting him up "for a sausage sandwich". Which he read as meaning something quite other than the intended bread-based meat snack.

9. Mesmerist

Dave, I love your story! I'm sitting here with tears of laughter streaming down my face.:D

MoominDave likes this.