MD's - How do you write your compere's notes?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I've found a site I thought I'd share with other MD's who like me are probably always looking for something to say about pieces. . . .

http://www.anecdotage.com/

What sites, techniques do other MD's use?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    MD
    techniques
    notes
    compere
    pieces
  3. nethers

nethers Active Member

Depends a bit on the situation... google, composer's notes, urban legends, they're all good depending on the music, venue and audience.

I have come across some very academic compere's in working men's clubs and in parks, and some slightly informal characters for more prestigious events - it's really worth getting it done right though.

Worst thing - conductor reading the notes from the score to the audience. Argh!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Not being from the UK, our band would often spend the first half of concert explaining some of the brass band traditions, as well as introducing our band and soloists.

For the second half, we typically try to tell a story and pass the script around a few of the creative minds in the band.

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I have a book, "The Wordsworth Dictionary of Musical Quotations", which I often find useful when preparing programme notes.

6. PlayerPete

PlayerPete Member

John Maines wrote a very good book titled "The complete compere notes guide" - you can get it through his website at http://www.johnmaines.com.

I always felt it was my duty to give the band a lip rest between pieces - I hate quick turnarounds when you dont have time to peg your music and empty your instrument before you are off again! I used to do research using the web, if there were any history or story to the music then I would use that. More importantly I keep all my notes as a word document so I can always find them and add to them as programmes change.

They are not fantastic, but if anyone wants a copy then PM me.

7. bbg

bbg Member

Been doing a fair bit of compering of late - sometimes playing as well (not great - on smaller stages, getting out front from Eb bass is not easy!) but more often not. Have made a lot of use of the internet, usually reading at least two or three links per piece to check accuracy of info, as well as personal knowledge of pieces / composers etc.
    Try as far as possible to tailor what I say to the specific audience; for our "own" concerts to a regular audience of relatives and supporters, there's more room for asides and band "in jokes", for largely non-banding audiences I may include some background on brass bands, certainly a bit of background to our own band. A receptive, appreciative audience who engage with the compere are more likely to engage with the band and vice-versa......others sit there daring you to make them enjoy themselves.....