MD in need

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Paul McLaughlin, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Can anyone out there in tmp land help me. We are missing a few scores from our library and despite looking in all the improbable places, have come up with nothing. I am now in the process of trying to purchase them. However, a lot of the ones I'm after don't seem to be able to be bought separately and I don't really want to buy new sets of the parts. I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest where I may be able to buy them, or how I could get in touch with composers/arrangers to see if they can help. The ones I'm after at the moment are:

Aspects of Andrew LW arr Peter Graham
    Ticket to Ride arr Alan Fernie
    Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffmann arr D Wright
    Carmen Suite arr D Wright
    Henry V arr Douglas
    I Got Rhythm arr Fernie
    Jesus Christ Superstar arr Frank Bryce
    Shenandoah (euph solo) arr Wright

Have tried contacting Gershwin and Vaughan Williams directly but they're never in! Any help greatly appreciated.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    land
    places
    nothing
    sets
    ones
  3. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

If you can't copy these or see them for sale on the usual sites then the only practical way is to do what our MD does and knock out your own by means of the 'Sibelius' software.

you CAN scan with Sibelius however it has been quicker for us to just type in the parts making full use of the 'copy bars' function wherever possible.

Many of the older stuff did not have scores as standard or were only partial scores etc. Also, we have found that virtually all older pieces have MANY errors!....so using Sibelius helps to track these down and eliminate.

Bob Stevenson, Brentwood Brass.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

But in the majority of cases you will need the permission of the copyright owner before embarking upon this...... whether the originals had full scores or not. If it's a case of a copyright work being out of print, just ring them up ask them, they may well agree! There are very few brass band pieces (originals and arrangements) which aren't in copyright. Some exceptions: Percy Fletcher works, Sousa marches and individual pieces like Mephistopholes (Shipley Douglas) Sons of the Brave (Bidgood) Death or Glory (R B Hall)

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Aspects of Andrew LW arr Peter Graham

Rosehill Music

Ticket to Ride arr Alan Fernie
    Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffmann arr D Wright
    Carmen Suite arr D Wright
    Henry V arr Douglas
    I Got Rhythm arr Fernie
    Jesus Christ Superstar arr Frank Bryce
    Shenandoah (euph solo) arr Wright

You not trust your PRS based principal cornet Paul? ;-)

All those apart from Aspects are available through Studio Music. (Some published by Studio themselves, others by Boosey and Hawkes, also available through Studio) Some will take a few days because they need to raid the archives but they're sending them to me!

6. davidsait

davidsait Member

I didn't realise that Death or Glory was out of copyright!

Would it be a good idea to have a section in the Copyright FAQ which lists Brass Band pieces which are out of Copyright?

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

It'd be impossible to name ALL brass band pieces as that would take some research but if the mods (particularly the publishers amongst you) think it's OK, I'll do a list of the more recognised works out of copyright, but bear in mind that I'll only be listing works out of copyright in the UK. other countries may have a different take for individual pieces, (particularly those outside the EEA)